View Single Post
Old 04-4-2018, 03:22 PM   #10
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Adding FFR To Steam Free To Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry View Post
its like osu, farming for PP etc makes the game popular and encourages people to get really good because its fun.
osu is literally the most boring rhythm game I have ever touched, and farming PP when the system isn't obvious is just shit. The fact anyone likes that system confuses me a lot. I have zero idea how it works, or why it even matters other than people assigned it a meaning.

Back when I played FFR heavily, the only thing I wanted was to get higher in the leader boards and win tournaments. I ended up beating out people in some rankings because some players are lazy and skip files in the game, because they're bored with easier files. Which is cool and all but I guess they're missing out. A lot of the easier files in the game are the best crafted IMHO. I used to hate July as a file, but fuck does it do a good job of being a simfile, and for teaching.

Games like this function strictly on a ranking board, and immediate rewards. If you can't get into that, sadly there's not too much to do. Achievement tokens are a great step we took, but skill tokens still need LOADS of work. It still makes zero sense that we reward players for playing "badly." It makes no sense to tell players to play a file and get a precise score that involves ignoring notes, where it's not explained to you on the skill token page how to even do it. Or how about the skill token that requires a score of 0 to unlock? The skill token that involves a reference to a glitch, that no newer players know or care about? Nice historical nod, but that doesn't do much for a new player. We have a wiki for history.

There's fucking work to be done. But it's still despite all that, better than the PP system ever will be. I can at least explain why people think / thought these systems were good. I'm not stupid in that some people see the fun in playing files in a different way, but it's still stupid to classify it with the more instant reward types.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry View Post
just consider this, the average new FFR player has literally no idea who any of the top FFR players are, but like, new osu players are like "OMG RAFISS!!! OMG COOKIEZIEE!!!!" etc. wheres the motivation to git gud at? they probably dont even know the main point of the game is to git good, like dangggg
Knowing who the top players are, isn't important. The issue is our lack of tourneys / strong events, but with the site how it is, I'm not complaining, just saying it's a thing that'd have to change with an influx of new players. (And I predict it would.) Nothing going on currently spawns competition, and even then, if you're a person who likes to post your "good" scores, often you're considered annoying, or ignored in the scores threads.

I think FFR is a game that could VERY EASILY benefit from steam integration, but the issue then becomes: steam is a shit hole, good luck getting noticed. Our game needs work. We have a great game team, it can be done. It could go well.

Long part of my post short: It'd be neat especially since FFR Air is now a thing. But just, if we do this, PLEASE let's try to fix our player rewards and stuff a bit while we're at it if this is gonna be a thing.
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote