View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 08:44 AM   #24
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Default Re: Survey: Define "good" music.

Some interesting posts in here. Dubstep occured 8 times on the first page (mostly in vro's post xd). Dossar still listens to ambient music but, iirc, he mentioned stepmania/FFR less than he did when I first posted this topic. And there seems to be a bit of a negative stigma towards popular/mainstream artists. Playing the devil's advocate here, if your favorite artist went mainstream, would you still like them?

But anyways, here we go.

0. What is/are your favorite genre(s)?
Drone, ambient, some shoegaze, down-tempo, IDM, left-field.

1a. What do you consider good music, either in general or in concrete examples?
Anything that sounds interesting. If a song contains sounds that I enjoy listening to, then it's a good song to me. If it seems like a song is evolving, then it's a great song. If you can stand to listen to it completely, listen to the song I linked as "left-field." You can tell when the song changes directions (2:35, 3:23, 4:56).

1b. How about bad music?
Anything that bores me. That might sound weird though, since I listed drone and ambient as two of my favorite genres. Drone and ambient, for the most part, are composed of sounds you won't hear in any other genres (if you do, it's just a small part of the song).

2. Are you biased against some genres because of the fans they tend to attract?
Not really. Maybe you could say I'm biased against religious music, since I'm not religious myself lol.

3a. Do you make assumptions about fans of particular genres?
Nope.

3b. What are some of the stereotypes you are familiar with?
Classical metal, hip-hop/rap, metal, EDM, etc. I lurk on a couple other sites, as well as /mu/ sometimes.

3c. What stereotypes exist about fans of your preferred genre?
We must do a ton of drugs.

4. What role does a band/artist/genre's popularity play in your like or dislike for them/hir/it?
Not much.

5. Do you think you have good taste in music?
I enjoy the music I listen to, doesn't matter if my taste in music is "good." If someone likes the music I listen to as well, that's awesome. Maybe they can point me to some new artists.

6. How objective do you think you are when you judge music?
Not objective at all. I either like something or I don't. Even if it's a highly-acclaimed artist or something.

7. Do you judge artists/bands on their entire body of work, or on a song-by-song basis?
I cannot stand listening to artists/bands on a song to song basis. I'm like aldentron, I generally have to listen to an album completely.

8. Do you consider your choice of music part of your identity, image or public persona?
Probably not.

9. Have you ever made choices in music based on what your peers might think of you? (For example, do you avoid a certain genre because your friends think it is without merit? Do you listen to genres you don't particularly like because your friends like them?, etc.)
Nope. Hell, I've blasted this song in my brother's truck (mostly so I could see what it sounded like with his system (the ending is wtf lol)).

10a. How do you feel/react when someone states an opinion contrary to yours regarding music in general?
Whatever. I respect other people's taste in music. If they don't respect mine, then they suck.

10b. What about particular songs/artists/genres?
10a, woop woop.

11. Do you have formal musical training? (Such as receiving singing lessons, playing an instrument, etc.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hLj2YpbJug

12. Who influences your choice of music most? How do you find new music? Through which channels? Through advertising/word of mouth/YouTube/reviews/other?
last.fm, pandora (although I haven't used it in a while...), a couple of other websites, as well as FFR (not da gaym)

13a. Have your tastes or preferences changed over time?
I'd say they became more centralized.

13b. If not, why not?
durrrrr

13c. If yes, in what way?
I listen to better music than I did last year.

14. Anything you'd like to add on this subject? Any other questions you wish I'd posed?
BEYONCE HAD THE BEST MUSIC VIDEO OF ALL TIME.