View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #23
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Survey: Define "good" music.

0. I'm bad at genres. Incidental music, electronica, orchestral.

1a. Elicits emotions, makes me want to listen to it, feels catchy, has lots of different parts to listen to, I dunno

1b. Music that makes me feel unemotional. Music that creates ennui. Repetitive music that's annoying is the worst, however, repetitive music that's personally emotional can be the best thing ever.

2. I dunno.

3a. Definitely
3b. Kids with glowsticks, hip hop in da hood, hicks from the country, smart people like classical, I could go on
3c. What stereotypes exist about fans of your preferred genre?
I honestly don't know but the demographics for most of the songs in my youtube playlist are for males 16-19 or something like that.

4. I'm often an iconoclast even though I don't want to be. I tend to dislike things that are locally popular. I suppose the music that's played locally (like on the radio) is just played too much though, and so I'll start to dislike it even if I started off liking it.

5. yes

6. Not objective at all, experiencing art isn't an objective thing. The only other way to look at this question is basically asked in #9.

7. I rarely find an artist where I like most of their work. I guess that means song-by-song basis.

8. Image, no, public persona, no, identity, maybe.

9. No, I'm a loner. But even when I had lots of friends I didn't either. Music wasn't usually a topic of conversation, and when it was, it was just clear we all liked different stuff largely anyways.

10a. Like we're wired differently.

10b. Like we're wired differently.

11. yes

12. Media, (I like incidental music afterall). I'm bad at finding new music. Random youtube searching/suggestions, the occasional opinion of someone else.

13a. Yes and no. Overall taste, no, not really. Individual songs? Most definitely.
13b. When I listen to the same thing too much, it often loses its flair. This is a known psychological phenomenon for music, at least for catchy music. I probably don't listen to music often enough for my overall tastes to have changed much. (Overdoing music is like overeating to me, too much and it's just not good anymore.)
13c. I get sick of the same melody lines with same underlying chords. There's a lot of overlap in stuff like that for music I like, or so it seems.

14. Who has found a piece of music that they just keep liking more and more, rather than having it get old? Why do you think this is? Will your enjoyment of it 'peak' anytime soon? Did you initially like the music?
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote