View Single Post
Old 12-2-2011, 12:09 AM   #4595
Findarian
Offical Best Poster 2012
FFR Veteran

Default Re: 6th Official FFR Tournament - Round 3 has started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
This is a perfectly fine viewpoint. And I've considered it... on the other hand, by the very nature of calling this a tournament, you are inviting the competitive aspect to come to the fore. And part of any competition is the assumption of a consistent playing field. People went into this tournament with a set group of divisions. They knew who they would be competing against, even if not everyone might have agreed with the placements. And to change that in the middle of the competition destroys a lot of the incentive behind competing- why bother to excel if all that gets you is arbitrarily moved to where you're bound to lose?

It's the same reason people would probably make a huge deal if a sports team had its division changed mid-season, or if a professional tournament just decided to un-seed one of its competitors completely against the structure they usually use... nobody likes to feel punished for improving.
I'd honestly rather live with having the divisions wrong and vow to do better next time than change everyone's expectations mid-way through. And so, because of what you're saying in your post (the prizes are honestly not worth getting so worked up over) I'd say that we might as well live with the incorrect divisions we started with. To me, that's better than changing the nature of the tournament entirely mid-way though and destroying part of what makes competing fun.

I'm sure the response to this is to pick apart every word I've said and take it out of context, but I am mostly addressing the precedent this sets. What's the point of competition if you can't be sure you won't be punished for improving?

Also this.
I'm really not sure why people aren't getting it lol

Anyways.. only exception is sandbaggers.. if it's obvious just kick them from tourney right? =)

PARTY TIME IN TGB

Findarian is offline   Reply With Quote