View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 12:29 PM   #14
IAAW
FFR Player

Default Re: Pawn: An Online MMO Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbutterfly View Post
IAAW, I'm just saying, if you or anybody else is calling it an MMO, they need to check what the definition of MMO is.

MMO = Massively Multiplayer Online = lots of people (on the order of hundreds or possibly thousands) in a single persistent world online. If it's not an MMO, games are played in sessions or rounds with limited numbers of people. There may be a massive amount of people playing, and they may all be playing it online and playing multiplayer games, but unless the games themselves are massively multiplayer (ie: not just 32-64 people playing one round at a time), then the game isn't an MMO.

Stat-tracking does not make a game an MMO. MMO's are, by definition, in persistent worlds, so stat-tracking is usually needed to make sure that your character in that world is persistent and grows with the world. Lots of non-MMO games track stats. Hell, Starcraft records some stats about you, and tons of people play it, but that doesn't make it an MMO. BF2 (I believe I mentioned before) tracks TONS of stats, but it's still played round-by-round like any other non-MMO game. Actually, I'm 99% sure BF2 tracks more statistics about players than Planetside, even though Planetside is definitely an MMO.

I'm not ragging on the game or anything, I'm just saying it's not an MMO if it's played in rounds. Calling it that is misleading.
I mostly call online games MMO's, but I am pretty sure that this would not be considered an MMO. I'm sorry if I offended you much, but yeah, it's very important that I remove the "MMO" part.
IAAW is offline   Reply With Quote