View Single Post
Old 08-9-2019, 01:49 AM   #134
DaBackpack
~ お ま ん こ ~

Send a message via Skype™ to DaBackpack
Default Re: TWG 188: MAD17, Who's Role Is It Anyway? [GAME THREAD]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
Now I have watched some of the Fleischer cartoons and probably all of the latter colored ones from like the 40s onward as a kid, but I'm under the impression the OG comic had a lot more going on then the cartoons normally did.

IIRC The cartoons just kinda fell into a template of "Bad Guy Bad, Popeye gets shit kicked out of him, spinach happens, que the theme song"

Also @ SunFan if you really wanna blow your mind about Max Fleischer check out his rotoscoping work it's literally the work of Satan and people in the 30s thought it was the future
Yeah the comics were generally adventure-themed, like "Popeye goes on a treasure hunt" kinda stuff and had plotlines that lasted several weeks. Spinach is barely even a thing for most of it. A good portion of it is Popeye fucking around with people or just beating the shit out of anyone who looks at him funny. It's great

The Fleischer ones are pretty much the formula you described, but I think those cartoons are the foundation of the modern image of Popeye as opposed to the flanderization of the 1950s-1970s Popeye cartoons that were essentially Post-Chuck Jones Looney Tunes except worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy View Post
no one cares
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG Dan Hedgehog View Post
there are 743 matches for hedgehog suicide on deviantart
that's kind of a sad statistic