View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #34
tofurox
Them arrows.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to tofurox
Default Re: Survey: Define "good" music.

0. What is/are your favorite genre(s)?
I equally enjoy... country, metal, most all techno/electronic/dance styles (dubstep, dnb, 8 bit, trance, etc.), rock, solo piano, some rap. There are probably other genres I haven't listed, but I am into a lot of music these days. Just anything that isn't jazz, blues, really oldies, and crazy pop shit (i.e. Justin Bieber).

1a. What do you consider good music, either in general or in concrete examples?
Skrillex. Nightwish. Philip Wesley. There's too much for me to put here.

1b. How about bad music?
Trashy pop.

2. Are you biased against some genres because of the fans they tend to attract?
Pop... just too popular.

3a. Do you make assumptions about fans of particular genres?
Maybe

3b. What are some of the stereotypes you are familiar with?
Bieber=Screaming girls

3c. What stereotypes exist about fans of your preferred genre?
Dunno

4. What role does a band/artist/genre's popularity play in your like or dislike for them/hir/it?
I sometimes dislike some of the "mainstream" artists. But that's usually due to the music they play. Most people like trashy pop I guess.

5. Do you think you have good taste in music?
Very.

6. How objective do you think you are when you judge music?
Very.

7. Do you judge artists/bands on their entire body of work, or on a song-by-song basis?
Both.

8. Do you consider your choice of music part of your identity, image or public persona?
All of the above.

9. Have you ever made choices in music based on what your peers might think of you? (For example, do you avoid a certain genre because your friends think it is without merit? Do you listen to genres you don't particularly like because your friends like them?, etc.)
Nope.

10a. How do you feel/react when someone states an opinion contrary to yours regarding music in general?
I try and explain my side, but they sometimes don't see it. I don't usually feel too bad.

10b. What about particular songs/artists/genres?
Ehh it depends.

11. Do you have formal musical training? (Such as receiving singing lessons, playing an instrument, etc.)
Piano, viola.

12. Who influences your choice of music most? How do you find new music? Through which channels? Through advertising/word of mouth/YouTube/reviews/other?
I influence my choices in music most. I find new music everywhere.

13a. Have your tastes or preferences changed over time?
Yup

13b. If not, why not?

13c. If yes, in what way?
I like country now.

14. Anything you'd like to add on this subject? Any other questions you wish I'd posed?
Nope.

This sig has been enhanced by the FFR Staff for being too large. Thank you for participating.
tofurox is offline   Reply With Quote