View Single Post
Old 10-21-2016, 03:42 PM   #264
sunn0glasses
FFR Player

Default Re: MOVEZ (FILES TILL OCT. 10TH, ON HIATUS TILL OCT. 9TH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post

Choco Love (Some kinda remix)-
So a lot of this file rules! in fact everything after 72.025 is really fun and I don't have a lot of huge issues with it other than some awkward patterns and ghost notes, but like, everything before it has a lot going on that I need to point out. I like this file and could totally see it in the pack tho.
@12.963/13.338: don't totally get why these are jumps
@15.775: 32nd triplets are weird but i'll allow them considering vocals. It doesn't **SOUND** like 32nds at 1x rate though, so I'd recommend changing them from triplets to gallops by getting rid of the 16th notes. Will in the end make it flow better.
@21.025: don't really feel those 64ths

-on the whole in the intro section (and the points where it repeats), i get and appreciate the "only stepping the vocals" thing, but you're kinda inconsistent with it, and jump placement makes it confusing since you're half expecting notes to drums. It also ends up feeling a little empty. IMO, either step some of the drums, or change up the patterns to make it feel more natural that you're just hitting notes to the vox

@36.447: not sure what that 32nd goes to
@37.338: double for those 24ths
@37.900: those don't /really/ need to be jumps
@41.838: awkward pattern, especially considering mines
@43.900: just like above, maybe just a 32nd gallop
@51.822: ghost note
@56.135: ghost note
@161.088: ghost notes
@168.213: i know those 32nds go to the kinda quiet synth in the bg but they're pretty awkwardly placed, so I'd get rid of em or change the pattern.
@168.400: that held note actually changes melodically on every 8th note after it, it's not just one long sustained quarter note. also the patterns in this section (jumpstreams/hands on held notes) is a bit iffy. that one's up to you but it's not the most fun thing (especially with those 32nd triplets)
@171.072: 32nd is a ghost note

That seems like a lot but tbh this file's fun and it also appears to make heavy use of right/left channel fuckery (just assuming based on the waveform) and I only have a left channel at the moment so, yknow, take that all with a grain of salt. Just touch the beginning up a little and double check for ghost notes and you're solid.

NOSTALGIA (RUSTIE EDIT)-
yknow I'm judging this batch without looking at who made each file and this is, across the entire history of the pack, like the 4th file that I've started up and thought "is this just lurker fucking with me" lmao. anyway.

For a straight jumpstream file this is pretty solid. Not my cup of tea but I only have like 3 or 4 things I wanna point out.
Sync's slightly off. first beat should come in at 0.052
@42.405: i actually like the holds being stepped like this, it's cool, but it makes an issue later on @59.356, with the piano notes. The holds are cool and all, but stepping one part of the piano melody and then cutting it off just for quad note holds isn't really worth how weird that feels. This one's subjective and totally up to you, but it'd be cool if the holds were just 2 note holds and the piano melody was actually stepped.

@108.415: these don't really need to be minifreezes

@110.179 and onward: I don't *totally* get why all of a sudden the extra jumps come in? I mean climax theory for sure but it's kinda lost on me. Not gonna ask you to change it, but maybe some clarification would b cool lol
@126.238: the piano notes were minifreezes earlier, so either add em here or remove em earlier. also there's a 24th note jump at @126.709 that shouldn't be there.

Other than that, solid JS file. Can't really find a reason to say no. Just look over what I asked ya to and ***MAYBE*** think about cutting it down to somewhere closer to 2:00-2:30

Hack The Club Feat. Snappy Jit (Lolica Tonica Remix) -
Yo dude this SM file is completely blank

Positif (Masayoshi Iimori Bootleg)-
-would like some more jump layering in 43.085 thru 46.810
-please don't make the 48ths at 64.603 trills
=@118.810 it'd be cool if you kept up the 12th note jumps instead of doing the 48th hi-hat rolls, but if you wanna keep those 48ths, again, please not as trills
-@223.499 anything but that pattern please lmao

either way this file rules, song's totally unexpected, would just like to see those things addressed + also maybe the time cut down a lil (considering the song just loops except for the ending bit). Neato.

START AGAIN-
SM's blank again lmao

TWISTSTEP-
YEAH OKAY SEE, THIS IS HOW YOU DO OVERLAYERING AS AN AESTHETIC CHOICE IN A CHART, THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT. GREAT. THIS IS WHAT IT MEANS TO BE EXPRESSIVE. NO ONE REMEMBERS THE SUBJECTIVEMANIAS ERA BUT BABY IT'S HERE TO STAY. WOO. STEPMANIA.
ayyyye im stoked on all this. glad to have positif and twiststep in the pack. i'm gonna edit positif a bit, maaaybe shorten it so it doesn't repeat so blatantly. glad ya'll liked twiststep so much! if theres any fixes you or james may can spot, i'll give it a fix up, but other than that i just want to add a 16th note that i keep hearing as missing in the beginning of the song.

choco love - thnx so much for the thorough notes, ima go through and fix this jammy. gonna pretty much agree with all your points bc this was one of my earlier files and its definitely still rough all around, but i'd love to see this get a nice unanimous GREEN TEXT ACCEPTORONI so lemme fix it

about Nostalgia - i'll look at those notes more closely and try to fix the file up, but yea, the ending is pretty jarring with the sudden increase in jumptrills and i dont want it to stay like that. so i was thinking (please stop me if this is a bad idea) maybe i can have 2 difficulties - the heavy chart would be what it is now, but without the extra jumptrills at the ending and just a chill (but climax-y) ending. and then i'd do an oni chart that is more consistently jumptrilly from the main 'drop' thru to the ending as it is in the heavy right now. these are things i wanted to do for the file regardless of if it gets accepted in movez. but if it aint gonna work, nbd. unless james may changes his mind after i do these fixes

so, that makes for 2 accepts and 2 maybes from me. about those blank files tho - real sorry about that lol. at the time i sent it, i didnt realize those sm files were fuxked up. but ive got em fixed and playable. if you guys want, i can resend those 2 broken files, but i'm cool with my files you all accepted and critiqued so far. i'll send em if u want em, but otherwise, im just gonna work on those edits

edit: also, i swear i'm not lurker and i have no idea who that is, i just joined ffr like 5 months ago heh

Last edited by sunn0glasses; 10-21-2016 at 03:51 PM..
sunn0glasses is offline   Reply With Quote