View Single Post
Old 02-1-2012, 11:40 AM   #2735
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Queue/Batch Discussion Thread v2 (Submission Closed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
Judging for FFR is the same thing as judging for SM. They're literally the same damn game aside from FFR having less features. FFR and SM files all have their ups and downs, and if you think one is inherently better than the other, you're the elitist shit that is keeping this game dead
I didn't say one is inherently better, so I dunno how you think what you're saying applies to me. The two games ARE different, though - the main differences (IMO) being that FFR's scoring is combo based and that the available charts in the two games are different (FFR's chart list is fixed and controlled by a central authority, as compared to SM where literally anyone can release a chart and the community decides which packs they care about at any given time). The combo scoring means that we should be less willing to put very hard jacky charts into the game than the ones that exist in SM; the difference in available charts means that we should make an effort to let in more files that represent places where our selection is weak, even if there are plenty of those files available for SM. I think FMO+ jumpstream files is one of the most significant areas where the commonly played FFR and SM song lists differ.

So yeah, judging for FFR and SM are obviously going to be pretty similar. The same basic rules all apply. But if you treat the FFR batch exactly like you'd treat an SM pack, you are going to make some pretty poor decisions on which files to let through and which to reject.