View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 07:03 AM   #10
Treia
FFR Player

Default Re: Complain about college courses - Summer 2011/Fall 2011

Hazelle, it's all about the format. The Online classes I take go like this:

Each class is 10 units. Each unit is 1 week. Each week is Wednesday to next Tuesday. Within this week, we have to do an assignment (which might range from one, to a few documents), Unit Reading (textbook/ebook work), and a discussion board for social interaction. The discussion board is governed by one main topic, and one (or more) optional (relevant) topic(s) so you can have a thoughtful and original response that isn't just filled of "fluff". You have to post your initial response (regarding to the topic) before Saturday to get full credit. In addition to that, we have to respond to other student's post on at least two different days. Lastly, we have a weekly seminar, which is basically like being in-class. My college does this for participation grade (like the discussion board) and because they don't want to just drop a ton of information on you for you to figure out. Unlike the Unit reading, the seminar is useful for people who are visual/aural learners (they try to accommodate all learning styles) by allowing the professor to run through all the concepts being introduced, give a crash course of any new procedures, and have a live run of the Unit assignment.

Good things? You're not required to sit through hours of lectures on required days. You can take breaks from your studies. Having the freedom of what to wear is always a plus (my Street Fighter snuggie). The bad things? It's definitely difficult for the class to keep you on a leash, if you're the procrastination type, or way too undisciplined. Probably something no one cares about, but it's all virtual. Some people like the classroom environment, raising hands, hearing voices- social qualities. You're not going to have chances to bump into people who might become your future best friends, or have any weekend parties with your college mates.

You just have to keep a strictly "business" mentality when doing it online. If you're the social type, then just say "this isn't supposed to be social", and you'll get over that (especially if you have social life you're happy with outside these online classes). Lastly, make a conscious effort to get your work done. If something isn't working, notice it, and find ways to fix it. Keep a calender, place sticky notes everywhere. It's not too much different or any more difficult than a regular college course. In the end, it's always you who is your worst enemy.

I'm a little worried though. You're already signed up, and asking questions like that. I thought it was your Academic Adviser's job to make sure what you plan to do is the best choice. I'm guessing you were already enrolled for on-campus classes for some time now, but need to take some classes online too . . .

Ah, well, it's not like I was any different hahah. I was pretty anxious before my first day. Everything has been fine, and we're on Unit 5 now.

Last edited by Treia; 05-18-2011 at 07:09 AM..
Treia is offline   Reply With Quote