View Single Post
Old 08-23-2019, 03:46 PM   #8
DaBackpack
~ お ま ん こ ~

Send a message via Skype™ to DaBackpack
Default Re: can opinions be true or false? what is an opinion exactly?

Why did this thread get bumped lmfao, it's a stupid and meaningless question that only exists to give Arch an excuse to "dunk" on people he disagrees with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman93 View Post
There are only two descriptors. Subjective and Objective. Something objective is factually based; it is black and white, either it is true or it is false, correct or incorrect. Something subjective can take on an emotion or is something that can't be explicitly defined as correct or incorrect, true or false.

Subjective: "I hate hot weather."

Objective: "Summertime is the warmest season of the year, and has the longest length of daylight."
This dichotomy isn't super useful for making precise classifications. Your "objective" statement is actually an inference (i.e.: an interpretation) based on observations and measurements. In science there is a notion of "fact" that is rooted in evidence, but even "facts" are human constructs: they exist within the mind, and are necessarily inferential. Ergo, they are subject to subjectivity. As an example, check out the history of geocentrist thought.

I would argue that "perfect" true and false exist only within axiomatic, formal logical systems. Predicate logic and prepositional logic have clearly defined true and false because their axioms are infallible in the context of these systems: that is, "true is true because it is true."

The physical world and really, any system subject to human observation, will not have these axioms. Thus in a purely mathematical sense, you cannot have "perfect" true and false. This is why we have confidence intervals in science. And I don't need to mention that confidence intervals are a subjective criterion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy View Post
no one cares
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG Dan Hedgehog View Post
there are 743 matches for hedgehog suicide on deviantart
that's kind of a sad statistic