View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 06:31 PM   #47
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: A real guide on how to make a good simfile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3ratul View Post
The other form of layering, I'd like to think is much more harmonious. This is where you make patterns that are trying to encompass multiple sounds without actually individually stepping each one. Hence, you'll get patterns that are somewhat ambiguous as to what is actually being stepped, because it can be interpreted multiple ways. You need to be very aware of how the patterns look, feel, and interact. (sorry, this is somewhat hard for me to explain, hopefully you see what I'm getting at... if not, I can try to find some examples)
I call this semi-layering, myself. Not even layering, really, but it can have elements of layering in it. I find this method to be very preferable to precise layering, because it's more adapted to the subjective nature of SM. Technically accurate layered notecharts are often so hard to follow during normal gameplay that the method fails to be practical. The method of stepping you described has more creative freedom, allowing you to change patterns more smoothly and prevent situations where the only options are to make technical errors or awkward patterns.
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote