View Single Post
Old 04-22-2019, 06:21 AM   #10
riktoi
FFR Player

Default Re: loud megaphone release

Understanding Stepcharters and most of all, Respecting them

Lately I've been noticing this dangerous trend where people refuse to play anything from people they don't recognize. I understand this partly because you really don't know what level of delivery this person is capable of. On the other hand, just trying their stepfile and using a few minutes of your life to subject yourself to playing it is enough. They were willing to spend some time to publish a file for You, the players. It's only fair that you spare them some time as well. It can go a long way.

As for respect goes, it's best to stay quiet if you don't have anything constructive to say. There's absolutely no need to be offensive. You might as well not play the file if you're incapable of giving proper feedback. Again, this person, published a file/pack they had been working on for a finite time, using their own time. Be fair.

Don't like a file? Then don't play it. Judging a file based solely on your feelings at the moment of playing is a very poor way of judging anything. Give it another go. Try to understand it. Maybe you will, maybe you won't. Maybe it's too "boring" for your tastes. That's fine, but keep it at that.

There are a billion factors that could make a file "boring". There's also the occasional "fun" word being used. Both of these are mostly buzzwords that have absolutely nothing to do with the chart itself, but rather how the player feels about it at the moment. Again this is mostly fine, but from a judging perspective both of these points are useless. They don't really offer a good answer with substance, and often require a lot of explaining to really make out what these two feelings could come from. So, using them in a crutch situation is fine, but you should also be able to specify what exactly inherits these emotions.

And as a last paraphrase I might as well give my apologies to DourGent and other people I might've been rude to in the past. I often don't have much time to check on files as I don't really play the game outside of my own files, but if you do want me to check on some packs you can just dm me on discord (riktoi#5093 I think you need to add me first). I'll do my best to provide proper feedback.
riktoi is offline   Reply With Quote