View Single Post
Old 01-17-2004, 02:03 PM   #1
User6773

Default Idea: "Revised" Scoring System

Scoring problem:

Right now you can get 100 perfects, then a miss, then 100 perfects, and get a worse score than your challenger (who, say, got 150 perfects then 50 misses.) Now honestly, who's the better player here?

Here's my new score idea. It is loosely based on Perfect Attack in DDR, though it doesn't place all the emphasis on getting perfects. I call it "10,000 Best" scoring, a moniker which will become evident as I explain:

Assign all accuracy ratings these values:

Perfect = +4 points
Good = +2 points
Average = 0
Boo = -1 (this is because a boo and a miss usually come together)
Miss = -2 point

So add up the points that you got. Take that number, divide it by the maximum possible number on that level, and then multiply it by 8000. Round down. That's your Technical Score. So you get between 0 and 8,000 here, depending on how close to all perfects you were.

Now the combo score. Take the max combo you got in that song, divide it by the maximum possible combo, and then multiply that by 1000. Round down. So you get a 0-1000 combo score, depending on how well you got in terms of combo.

Then the completion bonus. You get +1000 points for having cleared the song, simple enough. If you don't clear the song (like you fail partway through) you get 0.

Your score will then be between 0 and 10,000. What are the advantages of this system?

Well, first of all, the obvious presence of a 10,000 score as a high watermark on all songs. Thus you always know you're talking in terms of 10,000 and not in terms of 698,950 or whatever. So you always know that scores in the upper 9,000s are "good scores" no matter what song you're talking about.

Second, a miss in the middle of the song doesn't royally screw your score as long as you've been technically proficient up to that point.

You can assign grades if you want:
10,000 = AAA
9,500+ = AA
9,000+ = A
8,000+ = B
6,000+ = C
5,000+ = D
3,000+ = F
0+ = X

I hope that 10,000 Best scoring is considered for FFR.