Old 12-31-2012, 08:47 AM   #14
ScylaX
urararararararara
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via MSN to ScylaX Send a message via Skype™ to ScylaX
Default Re: practicality of philosophy today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
Philosophy is nice in that it can help inform a variety of other frameworks (logic, reason, consistency, meaning, utility, epistemology, etc).

However, it's only useful if you actually give a shit about the truth value of something and apply it accordingly, because a lot of dumb shit gets mixed into it all when you start blurring the lines between things that are necessarily distinct / allowing things like meaning and consistency to be suspended / etc, which is not much more than empty mental masturbation with no climax.

A lot of people use philosophy to compensate for their ignorance/close-mindedness, since you can basically make up/find a philosophical framework that supports anything you want. That's not going to help you if you approach things that way.
Yeah it's really easy to fake complexity when your phrasing looks like mixing concepts and words together to make it sound "deep" ; it remembers me that phrase of Wittgenstein about the fact that philosophy is about unknotting the knots in our minds, which means that what is important in philosophy is not about saying complicated things but what led you to say such things, anybody can say "You can't prove me there's no hippopotamus in this room", but what is important is what led you to assert something like that, and thus, what will helps you develop - probably - a whole theory from what led you to say that.

Philosophy has to be meaningful.