Old 11-11-2017, 08:30 AM   #26
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: not a single review done

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
jan jelinek - loop-finding-jazz-records
knowing the title of the album, and the cover art, I was expecting something super experimental, like some lowercase or tape music or something, but goddamn. I was greeted by some pretty great microhouse. I love the vibe that this gives off. honestly the only microhouse artist I can name off the top is Four Tet, and I know he was making stuff in the early 2000s (Rounds was 2003). my first thoughts about this album was that this sounded a lot like Four Tet but with a darker, more ethereal approach to sound, but then I remembered that I was thinking about that in the context of later Four Tet projects. so I suppose Four Tet sounds like this guy rofl.
I'm also picking up hints of Pop by Gas as well, and it sounds like this loop based style would be used later on in uk garage and early dubstep.

so yeah, this is good. it has a very relaxing vibe, it gets me tapping my foot, bobbing my head. I don't really have much to say about the sound, maybe because I just woke up and am listening to it while I have some tea. I really enjoy the lo-fi samples, and some of the grooves are... groovy. that weird filtered wooshy thing on They, Them makes that one of my favorite tracks, and the slower beat on Drift makes it a great closing track. I think my least favorite tracks are ones like Moire, the ones that barely have a beat and remind me the most of Pop. overall, a really great listen and I'll be listening to this quite often I think. at least for the next month or so before I move to something else.

4/5
choof is offline   Reply With Quote