View Single Post
Old 04-9-2017, 04:32 PM   #550
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: 365 Reviews Done

Day 379: Redeemer: Underground Edition by Machinae Supremacy (Album Choice: Tokzic)

These guys made some songs that made it into ITG that I never played (and I actually play officials whenever I play because I suck, relatively speaking). Well, I did enjoy Megascorcher, that was actually a ton of fun, but it's not an official so whatever. These guys make chiptune power metal, or something like that. Let's go.

I just realized that I've never heard the vocalist in this band in my lifetime. I've been playing ITG for over a decade now and... THIS DUDE SUCKS. I don't like Power Metal-style vocals most of the time, but I would've accepted that for the sole reason of being appropriate. Whatever this guy is doing is completely inappropriate for the instrumentation unless they were going for some incompetent-nerd-tries-to-shout aesthetic or something. Sometimes the instrumentation overpowers the crappy nasal crooning, like the wonderful guitar work in Ronin or the chiptunes in Seventeen, and sometimes the vocals are at least bearable, like in... Well, the closest example would be Reanimator (March of the Dead III). But overall, this guy's singing just ruins the majority of this album. Isn't this band supposed to be instrumental metal anyways? Jesus shit.

Also, I know metal albums have a tendency to be overlong, but in this case, it's especially annoying that this runs 62 minutes because I have to listen to this vocalist for 62 minutes. Call me a hypocrite since I can't sing, I like plenty of bands with objectively untalented singers (The Mountain Goats is the most obvious one) and I always say vocals are the least important aspect of a song to me, but this is just too damn annoying. It's sad because I have very few other gripes. If there's an instrumental version of this album I might listen to it and actually enjoy it. In fact I think I'd enjoy it quite a bit, though maybe not for 62 minutes.

More 2017 albums guys. More. More.

Best Track: Reanimator (March of the Dead III)
Rating: 4/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote