Thread: Image of Fate
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 07:13 AM   #4
LogicalDefiance
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to LogicalDefiance
Smile Re: Image of Fate

I'm not trying to frown on ostinato guitar phrases, but I feel it may have been a bit too much for this piece. At least for being both the intro and outro to the song. The reason is because it doesn't give us any kind of interesting melodic or rhythmic phrasing to get us into the piece, and it doesn't end us in any kind of cadence either, as a result the piece will probably fatigue quickly since it feels more like it's just fading in, then fading out. Perhaps work on writing a variation on that phrase, then get to a dropping point where you drop in the ostinato and kick it off from there. That would definitely make the piece more iconic.

The second important thing I noticed is your mixing. You have every instrument at about the same apparent volume. To get a more interesting mix you may consider having some more dynamics in those sounds, and that may require some good EQing with some of those midrange sounds like the leads and the guitar. The bass should be easy to fix--currently its getting drowned by the other instruments, but since the only main competing frequency user is the bassdrum, then perhaps just give a subtle soft knee high pass filter on the other sounds, not one that effects timbre, but just gives us a little more lower end definition.

That said, I felt the most important two aspects that were lacking were the dynamics and the melodic structure. I'm in no place to critique the harmony, but a longer progression wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Anyways, I still enjoyed the piece...Hans Zimmer uses the crap out of ostinato guitar licks like that, and who doesn't like Hans Zimmer? =P

CUSTOM MUSIC COMPOSITION & SOUND DESIGN

LogicalDefiance is offline   Reply With Quote