View Single Post
Old 09-23-2018, 05:54 PM   #718
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Recommend me some 2018 albums halp

Day 472: Iridescence by Brockhampton (Album Choice: the usual)

Time is a fickle thing and you best realize how the hype train moves before you fuck yourselves over.

That's definitely not what happened to BROCKHAMPTON, based on their YouTube views, but this is the longest hiatus we've had between albums and on a personal level, I've found my hype for this band has lulled into a tepid excitement with a remaining strong desire to see them live, rather than the straight Stanning I was going through last year. This album also sees the biggest shake-up yet with the booting of Ameer Vann, but he was never my favorite member so I'm not too worried about that negatively affecting the band's sound, if anything I hope it instead forces them to innovate more.

On a whole level, this album has basically the exact same kinda format as the Saturations with the placement of singles, more experimental tracks and short bits, although I am HIGHLY impressed by the fact that they decided not to include any of the 1990s titled singles on here. In fact, the only things that I think stop this from being Saturation IV are the lack of Spanish-language skits and the last track not being a Bearface track. Sound-wise, this feels like a natural evolution of where the band was heading from the sounds of their third album, with a whole lotta aggressively clipped beats mixed with mellower, pitch-shifted croony bits. Unlike last time, however, the aggressive bits are EASILY the highlight of this album, and there aren't any real tearjerkers like Bleach to be found (I think that's what they were trying for with Weight but I'm more impressed by the IDM-esque amen breaks at the end of that song than any emotional content).

Well, not much else to say, but I really don't think they suffered all that much from the loss of Ameer. What they did suffer from is sophomore fatigue, even though this would be more like senior fatigue. It's still a very consistent album, with only a few filler clunkers (oh man San Marcos is so fucking bad), but it doesn't give me reason to go all super hype like 2017. It is something I will re-listen to, though, and sometimes that's good enough.

Best Track: New Orleans or J'Ouvert
Rating: 7/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote