View Single Post
Old 03-30-2022, 08:28 PM   #8
samurai7694
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Recommend me movies you enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioamor View Post
In my watchlist, but will be prioritized. I promise that means something and that I'm not simply stalling! Do you have a preference for the original or director's cut? I'd like to share the experience you had as much as possible. I'm pretty indifferent toward runtime if it's under five hours, especially if that length is justified.
There's a difference of about 20 minutes between the two, making it nearly 3 hours long. I realized that one of the scenes removed from the theatrical cut makes a later scene moot without the full context. One or two more scenes in the director's cut give more context and depth to Salieri's character and one regarding Mozart giving private lessons. I would personally recommend the director's cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioamor View Post
It's definitely a masterpiece. Iñárritu's uncanny ability to pull such rich, genuine performances from his cast while also letting that masterful script unfold like the most effortless, organic play imaginable is a rather rewarding experience. The long-take execution is more meaningful than something like Victoria, where it plays a role in the story instead of just existing as a marketing ploy.
Well said! I can't get enough of that film, honestly. The choice to do long takes makes sense in the context of the Broadway plot. It is as ambitious as the choice to limit the score of the film to just a drum kit. Self-referential, comedic at times, depressing at other times. I especially love the scene between Riggan and the critic. There's a breathtaking audio transition with the pianist playing at the bar, cut by the close of the door and then hearing the cello with the piano along with the fitting MacBeth quote.
samurai7694 is offline   Reply With Quote