View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #1
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default hi19hi19's Delicious Custom Theme Tournament

Co-hosted by qqwref

Summary
This is a no-elimination FFR tournament for all skill levels, held using exclusively brand-new custom files. The difficulty of the tournament is designed to get you to push your limits right from the start, while never crossing the boundary into complete inability to read the file. The tournament will be using the raw scoring system and will be hosting the files on the Dossar Tournament Engine. You do not have to be a member of a specific team to join this tournament, though informal competition between teams is absolutely encouraged in this thread.

Format
This is a no elimination tournament.
There will be 5 divisions with multiple flights to accommodate varying skill levels.
This a guide to how the divisions will be placed:

D5, aka the Chili Peppers
D5A: PAs 13s extremely well. The usual elite.
D5B: No problem PAing mid-high FGOs, can read and decently PA 13s.
D5C: Can PA low and mid FGOs, can read high FGOs well and PA them somewhat.
D5D: Can PA low FGOs, can read mid FGOs well.
Lowest file will be low FGO, most files in the high FGO range, ends with a 13.
The D5A flight will be punished for being too good at this game in the later rounds, I have some surprises

D4, aka the Sweet Potatoes
D4A: Can PA high FMOs and possibly the lowest FGOs, but struggles with higher FGOs.
D4B: Can PA low and mid FMOs well, can possibly read a few lower FGOs but difficulty PAing them.
Lowest file will be low FMO, most files in mid FMO to low FGO range, ends with a high FGO.

D3, aka the Winter Melons
D3A: Able to PA nearly all VCs, can read mid FMOs well.
D3B: PA the lower VCs well, can read up to the low FMOs.
Lowest file will be a mid VC, most files in the high VC and low FMO range, ends with a low FGO.

D2, aka the String Beans
D2A: PAs nearly all 9s and can read VCs.
D2B: Able to PAs 8s and can read many 9s and possibly low VCs.
Starts with an 8 and goes up, ending with a mid FMO.

D1, aka the Bamboo Shoots
D1: Difficulty PAing 8s and lower.
Starts with a low 6 and goes up to a mid VC.

The lower divisions will probably see more AAAs at the start, but they will also be pushed harder near the end.

Scoring
This tournament uses raw scoring.
There are three scoring schemes: cumulative scoring, tournament points, and individual round scoring. Everyone is automatically entered into all types when they sign up.
In cumulative scoring, your best score on each round is added up over the course of the tournament, and the highest total in each division wins.
I will grant extensions so long as you tell me in advance.
Scores submitted after the round ends without an extension are penalized 4 goods (100 points raw score) multiplied by the round number. So if you submit a late score for your round 3 file, you will lose 300 points from the score.
This is the type of scoring you're familiar with in the Dragon's Fury Tournaments, etc.

With Tournament Points, upon the end of a round, you are assigned a point value based on your score. Points add up over the course of the tournament, and the highest total wins in the end.
1000 points are awarded to those with the highest score in the round, then subsequent points are given at a rate of 90% of the previous point reward.
Thus the points given each round go 1000 to the highest scorer(s), then 900, 810, 729, 656, 590, 531, 478, 430, 387, etc.
Extensions and late scores for this type of scoring are handled the same way as in cumulative scoring.
This is the type of scoring you're familiar with in Dossar's Brutality Tournaments, Devonin's FFR League, etc.

In individual round scoring, at the end of each round, the best scores in each division win credits. Period.
There are no extensions for this type of scoring.
This type of scoring will encourage you to try your best on every round- even if you feel like you are falling behind in the other scoring types, you can still win credits in any round with a strong performance.
Prizes for this style of scoring will be tracked and distributed at the end along with the prizes for cumulative scoring.

Submitting Scores
This tournament will be using the Dossar Tournament Engine, which has automated score recording. HOWEVER, this feature will not be utilized for this tournament, in the spirit of complying with Velocity's wishes.
You are free to be signed in to the engine and record your scores as you play the files for this tournament, but I will not be checking the automatically recorded scores.

ALL SCORES MUST BE SUBMITTED WITH A PROPER SCREENSHOT IN THIS THREAD.
IMPROPER SCREENSHOTS WILL BE REJECTED, NO EXCEPTIONS.

Replays, videos, or anything else will not be accepted on their own without a proper screenshot.
You can update your scores at any time before the round ends. Please do not edit a new score into old posts.

How to take a screenshot:
Mac users:
Press Command + Shift + 3. This takes a screenshot of the entire screen, and saves the image to your desktop. From there, you can edit the image and upload it to a site like imgur.

Windows users::
Press the print screen button. Open Paint (or another image editing program) and paste the image from the clipboard. From there, you can edit the image and upload it to a site like imgur.

All screenshots MUST include:
A full view of the score being submitted, with nothing covering it
The FFR server timestamp
Your username located on the top right corner of FFR's window

Example of an acceptable screenshot using an engine in-browser.

Example of an acceptable screenshot using a standalone player.

Example of an unacceptable screenshot

Round Format and Dates
Rounds will be 4 days long and begin on Saturday and Tuesday evenings at 10PM server time.
This setup ensures there is time on the weekends for each round, to accommodate those who are busy during the week.
Note that this also means there will be time on Wednesday each week where the new round is out, but scores for the old round can still be submitted.
There will be 7 rounds total, with an 8th tiebreaker round added if needed.
This tournament will be starting on Saturday, February 18th.

Additional Stuff
ABOUT THE FILES
Each round of this tournament has a specific theme to the files. The themes vary widely, and will hopefully be fun to look forward to.
While the tournament will generally get more difficult as the rounds go on, files WILL NOT be going in a strictly ascending order of difficulty. Don't be surprised if a file is easier for you than last round's file, these things will happen.
In terms of file difficulty, this tournament will be somewhere in between traditional tournaments and Dossar's Brutality tournaments.
While I definitely do not expect you to be able to AAA or even SDG many of the files you will have to play, I do expect you to be able to read them and get through the vast majority of parts without blind mashing.
None of the files in this tournament will be outright dumps- every arrow has a sound. That said, some of them definitely could be called overlayered... I wouldn't have it any other way
The exception to this is (possibly) tiebreakers and side game files- I reserve the right to do whatever I want on those files heh

SM FILES
I will be releasing the original SM files for each round when that round starts.
That way you can practice it in Stepmania, make isolation files, argue about how much better Stepmania is, all that stuff, right as the round is going on.
At the end of the tournament, I will release them all again in one pack.
These are totally legitimate SM files- I've put a lot of effort into getting full graphics sets for them and making sure they are up to a high quality by SM standards as well.

INFRACTIONS
There are no infractions. If you piss me off enough to make me want to remove you from the tournament, I will. Don't ruin it for the rest of us.
I'm a pretty easygoing guy, so keep it polite in this thread and this will not be an issue.

No cheating. This includes (but is not limited to):
Don't try to fake scores.
Don't hide your skills to sandbag an easier division
Don't have a more skilled friend get scores for you.
Don't boo glitch or use double setup.
As per the official FFR stance, overlay is allowed, however the files have been specifically crafted to either not require overlay, or to make overlay a difficult option to utilize.
Issues with division placement, suspicions/evidence that someone is cheating, etc. should all be sent by Private Message and not posted publicly.
I reserve the right to move people's divisions, remove people from the tournament, reject scores, all that jazz... There shouldn't be any need for this but it's worth saying I guess.
I welcome constructive feedback, with emphasis on constructive. Just saying my file is "bad" gets me nowhere.

Signing Up
Accounts signing up must have at least 150 games played across at least 50 unique levels.
If you meet these requirements, post in this thread and you are in.

Last edited by hi19hi19; 02-20-2012 at 02:02 PM..