View Single Post
Old 03-31-2022, 10:50 AM   #15
radioamor
anhedonia extraordinaire
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Recommend me movies you enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellonxcollie View Post
If you think you would enjoy an anime movie, I highly recommend the work of Satoshi Kon. Particularly Perfect Blue and Paprika. They are not "anime" films that have the tropes of anime, and are not associated with any series. They are regular films in the medium of animation so technically anime but they are very good
There is a noticeable dearth of animation in my diary. I tend to be averse to 3D animated films, but I do need to get into more anime. I have seen a lot of Perfect Blue during my time on Letterboxd, so I'll add both to my watchlist. I also understand that I need to watch more Miyazaki. Or any Miyazaki, actually. I've seen a third of Howl's Moving Castle and that's all. Would I be incorrect in assuming you have some knowledge of Studio Ghibli, and would therefore be able to provide a recommendation or two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyjayde View Post
City of God by Fernando Meirelles
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie by Luis Buñuel
Man Bites Dog by Rémy Belvaux
Possession by Andrzej Żuławski
Snatch by Guy Ritchie
Stalker by Andrei Tarkovsky
The Black Tower by John Smith
The Taste of Tea by Katsuhito Ishii
Adding all of the ones that aren't already in my watchlist. I adored Solaris, and I have never heard anyone say anything negative about Stalker. I actually own City of God despite never having seen it, so that will certainly be easy to find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioNintendo View Post
Added 2 titles to my first post.

Interesting that there's now 2 people suggestion Possession
Does Lion transcend traditional Oscar bait tropes? I've heard nothing but good things, but I'm usually wary of films that look tailor-made to win awards.
Also, one of my co-workers recommended Possession to me back in October, so there are actually three people that have told me to watch it.
radioamor is offline   Reply With Quote