Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: "Play/Test/Judge my simfile" thread V2

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Rarity View Post
Name - Christmas Memories
Style - Keyboard (4K)
Length - 2:00
Difficultly - Hard (7)
Notes - My first chart that I actually took it seriously, and spent a good few hours on it. Intentionally, there was supposed to be two charts but I'd rather release this as a W.I.P. so I can get some feedback.

DL Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?rmh2f1q74zf46jl
The song is pretty straightforward and is a good choice to step as a beginner.

The file is a bit off-sync: notes are around 50ms early, and the bpm of the song is actually exactly 170 rather than the 169.8 something in the file.

There are a few ghost notes (notes that do not correspond to any sound in the music). This is in the form of just a few 12th notes every now and then that didn't actually go to a sound, and the 24th gallops toward the end of the song.
There are a few misrhythms: The few 32nds are actually 12ths (it's more noticeable with the music on sync).

In general, be mindful of what sounds you're stepping and why you're stepping it that way. A problem with this chart is that it seems to randomly switch from jumps to notes without anything changing in the song. It results in gameplay being counter-intuitive and lacking flow.

Decide which instrument you want to step, and step it as single notes (typically). Add difficulty to it by layering another instrument as you see fit. This means when two instruments in the song are played at the same time, step it as a jump. This will make gameplay a lot more enjoyable and intuitive, and it allows the player to "feel" the music more clearly, so to speak. Just make sure you're layering it consistently over significant periods of time, i.e. don't layer on the vocals for 5 seconds and arbitrarily switch to percussion without some noticeable change in the song itself. For example, 54 seconds in you go from stepping piano to vocals with 64ths/32nds. It's not bad to step vocals, but it's quite unexpected here and doesn't happen like that anywhere else in the file, and there isn't any significant change in the song to merit this IMO.

Pattern-wise, it's pretty good. Be mindful of creating minijacks (they appear in this file usually before jumps). They're not too much of a problem at this speed, but try to place them with purpose rather than by coincidence (not saying you necessarily did that). A trill followed by a minijack is an unfriendly pattern.

It's still good for a first chart. I hope I wasn't too negative or overwhelming. Also keep in mind that a lot about stepping is subjective, and this advice is purely my opinion based from my experience stepping and playing.
ilikexd is offline   Reply With Quote