View Single Post
Old 02-5-2015, 01:08 AM   #159
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Meh, let's do it again, this time for a year

Day 98: The Queen Is Dead by The Smiths

Because something told me I need to listen to more gay bands, I've been listening to The Smiths albums in order, taking my sweet ass time. For some reason, I decided not to review the first two albums. I thought they were okay at best. Actually I'm only reviewing this to help me focus on my homework. I'm looking most forward to Strangeways because that one has all my favorite songs. This one has the best reviews so here we go. Let me finish my Hot *****. Yes, I'm listening to Hot ***** outside of a party context, shoot my stupid ass.

This opener is actually fantastic. It sounds a lot fuller and more produced than anything on the last two albums, which is probably why I like it more. This album as a whole sounds a bit better recorded than their previous two albums, especially the debut which I thought was quite tinny and needed a remaster. But since I like lo-fi anyways, let's discuss the actual songs. When these guys get sad, they know exactly what they're doing. The downbeat songs (title track, I Know It's Over, Never Had No One Ever do I really need to give song titles here?) are all fantastic. I wish I could say more about their jauntier songs, but really, they just seem way too smirky. They're still good melodically but the lyrical content is groanworthy. This is especially true of the closer. Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others? How the flying eff could anyone think that's a good idea for a song?

Yeah I liked this better than the last two albums thanks to a fuller production, but the comedic side made this pretty damn inconsistent. Also, I find Morrissey's voice to be incredibly grating at times. Still, not at all a bad album.

Best Track: The Queen Is Dead
Rating: 7/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote