View Single Post
Old 01-10-2015, 10:42 AM   #2
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: [Art - Discussion] Name 10 Most Important Artworks of All-time

I can list a few things here to spark up a discussion.

Seikilos Epitaph
It's the oldest recorded piece of music known in a complete form (songs found earlier only survived in fragments). There were also no harmonies back in that time period of Ancient Greece; you'll notice the singing is monophonic.

Decrepit Statues in Ancient Greece
This isn't one specific piece of artwork, but something fascinating about Ancient Greece statues is that even if the body parts are falling (the head, arms, etc.) the clothes still seem to remain intact over the years. For instance, you could look at this picture and see the arms and head are missing, but the clothes still look perfectly fine on the statue.

Colosseum
One could argue that this gigantic structure is also an artwork in of itself, especially when you consider back around 2,000 years ago when it was built there wasn't any of the technology we have today for building these kinds of massive structures. One can say it represents the strong will/effort of Greece for instance (even if it required slavery/free labor). Other structures like the Egyptian pyramids could also be taken into consideration here!

A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte
This artwork is composed entirely of single dots. The effort and patience to make this piece with that much detail is incredible.

Last edited by DossarLX ODI; 01-10-2015 at 10:43 AM..
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote