View Single Post
Old 06-28-2016, 05:10 AM   #35
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar
Default Re: When u bump a thread in CC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
This is something I have to consider a lot now that I own my own retail business that fosters a great deal of community and has large group events.

On the one hand, if two buddies are the only people in the store, and they are playing Magic and one says to the other "Man that card is so retarded, it just rapes me!" my inclination is to enforce the rules of behavior of my store where that kind of language is not acceptable.

If I allow intent and the particulars of that individual situation to influence how I react (Say, I go 'well it's just them here, his buddy laughed and they obviously don't mean any actual insult or offense to anybody') and let it slide, if I later -do- tell them they can't act that way when they do it in front of other people, they are pretty justified in protesting because they did it before and I didn't say anything.

To go a step further, if I -keep- letting it slide because I know they are just joking and don't mean anything malicious by it, when they DO do it in front of other customers who -do- get upset or uncomfortable or offended by it, and I don't do anything, they are not able to tell the difference between "He's letting it slide because he knows those two, and thinks they don't mean any harm by it" and "He thinks this is perfectly okay, and this is the kind of place this is" and they are pretty likely to leave and not come back.

I know when the standing ruleset for TGB was one I wrote, a bunch of rules -were- relaxed in TGB that the current rules seem to not relax (inasmuch as V's rules are actual rules) and there's really no reason I can think of that they shouldn't still be relaxed. It's a closed forum.

I can see and agree to these points. I sometimes forget that we do kind of want new blood here haha. I guess I can't complain that it's just us when I in the same breath advocate behavior that keeps it just us.

Also I was referring to like 2006 Garbage Bin, but point taken.

Also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
This is something I have to consider a lot now that I own my own retail business that fosters a great deal of community and has large group events.
#humblebrag

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter