View Single Post
Old 05-18-2006, 07:09 PM   #3
BluE_MeaniE
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to BluE_MeaniE Send a message via MSN to BluE_MeaniE
Default Re: What makes a series good?

I don't watch anime, but my favorite shows are generally comedy shows. Sitcoms. My favorite show is probably Red Dwarf.

And in comedy, it's tough to really pinpoint what makes something funny. It's just the relationship of the characters, the actors' comedy ability--timing and whatnot, the writing. It's not intangible, but sometimes it's just a mix of factors.

In Red Dwarf, I think the writing is solid--there are good jokes there as themselves. Then, the actors just can do what they need to do well. Then, the plot is interesting enough. It simply is. It has the perfect mix of cool spacey stuff, and classic buddy-comedy-ness.

If you think about Red Dwarf, or any other good long-running show, there is a good progression of the characters, as you get to know them. I don't think that show ever really jumped the shark, either. It may look like it around the 7th or 8th season, but I think the plot is a logical progression.
BluE_MeaniE is offline   Reply With Quote