View Single Post
Old 05-19-2006, 01:54 PM   #9
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek
Default Re: What makes a series good?

First and foremost, the first / second episode has to lay out the underlying theme of the show right away. It has to show some of the main characters, reveal some of the plot, and make the setting. Incredibly easy to do, but so many shows fail at this point.

After that is taken care of:

1) Music. A show without good BGM sucks. A show without ANY BGM is just tiresome. I believe I fell asleep to a bunch of shows that just never played BGM or played it really softly.

2) Action. Every show has action. Action doesn't mean fighting or flying. It means stuff HAPPENS. If there is one show in particular that failed to do this basic element, it's .hack//sign.

3) Conclusive plot. Don't leave me in the air. End your series. I don't want to read the manga to find out what happens. You got your manga turned into an anime because people liked it and the television studio thought it would be a worthwhile addition to their lineup. So utilize the elements that made your manga popular and put them in the show. If you're not done writing the manga and don't want to spoil the end for those reading it, then keep the show running past one season. Just don't kill me at the 26th episode by not telling me what happens next.

4) Brought to the table. The "table" of anime is huge. It is filled with good and bad series that tried a new theme. Not to say that every theme is filled up, but taking an awesome show and using the same elements from that show again just won't work. For instance, making a show that is almost exactly the same as Azumanga Daioh is a pretty stupid thing to do, because there's absolutely no way to surpass that show. You need to bring something new to the table. Something viewers haven't seen before, even if it's just a twist on the original's plot.

5) Characters. Fit the style of the show, really. Everyone likes a unique and awesome character. It's not necessary to put him / her in a huge trenchcoat with a massive gun to make them cool. Whatever fits the style the show is using will work splendidly. I personally like to have a myriad of characters all developing alongside the main character. Having a show limited to two or three characters gets kinda boring.

I'm sure I missed something. Oh well.

~Squeek
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote