View Single Post
Old 08-23-2019, 03:07 PM   #2
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Learning Rates in Games

I think it's a good concept in theory but I don't think you can really apply it too much to a rhythm game since a game like this requires warming up, is physically demanding, you get tired etc, but maybe it would still fit... Getting high scores here requires a combination of you feeling well physically and mentally compared to games like those where the physical demand isn't very high.

With enough plays though maybe it would still fit a sqrt(x) graph or whatnot.. I mean, based on how skill progression works I would assume that your rate of improvement in terms of skill in a game is sqrt(x) (where x is number of plays) whereas the actual difficulty of improving is exponential x^2 (with x being time). For most games, improvement at a higher level is more difficult because mechanics of most games at that point just end up being micro-optimizations etc, whereas a game like FFR doesn't necessarily end up being more complex mechanically, it just requires higher focus/speed.

I think a better metric would be measuring the amount of time taken to reach x level, rather than number of games played.

Last edited by Dinglesberry; 08-23-2019 at 03:08 PM..
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote