View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #1862
foxfire667
The FFRchiver
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: FFR Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by popsicle_3000 View Post
yeah, combo scoring is how ffr has always been. not a fan at all of changing that.
it's true, lvl ranks only really start mattering when you get better. for years all it was for me was FCing songs. now, my main motivator is AAAing and lowering ranks
The same could have been said for 1 frame perfects and average misses until they were fixed. Additionally it certainly wasn't a feature people liked even when FFR was just starting out, let me quote two people from the FIRST thread I can read in the FFR forums (early 2003).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch0wl
... anyways, I think the scores should be changed so a miss really doesn't matter so it's like not getting a perfect or whatever... I think the scoring system should be heavily based on how many perfects/goods you got
Quote:
Originally Posted by nestlekwik
The scoring system change is something I've pushed for. Supposedly, though, there is some sort of new scoring method in remix. I've documented reasons why the tournaments, definately, should not run on the combo scoring. I, too, think the scoring should be based on perfects/goods/averages instead of the combo.
Since then tons of people throughout FFR's lifetime have stated the obvious: combo scoring should be replaced. It's just not mentioned as much now because people believe it's this something that people liked in the past and was historical or whatever (meaning it won't ever change). The truth is the combo scoring system was never really liked in the first place, and probably should have been moved to raw scoring or a different variant a long time ago.

Honestly changing to raw scoring would only affect those who mash files for combo, by increasing their ranks. It would not only fully encourage people to actually PLAY hard files (instead of Mash Mash Revolution), but it would also feel rewarding to play as accurately as possible. This would most likely drive players to learn how to hit more difficult patterns earlier on, and improve their overall skill much quicker. It would also allow for good runs that have misses to be new personal bests, instead of rage inducing worthless scores.

It is much more rewarding to actually do GOOD on a song than it is to get a good rank for mashing away. You aren't even playing a RHYTHM game in that regard anymore, essentially hitting the keyboard at whatever the hell interval is possible for you to keep up with the arrows.