View Single Post
Old 08-21-2020, 05:00 AM   #12
trumaestro
I don't get no respect
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Batch Submission Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
It used to be that the pool of steppers who could actually get things into FFR was so small I could just ask what people were stepping or post on the forums that I was stepping a certain song and that alone would make me reasonably sure there would be no conflicts. For example to this day I have the folder of music that bmah sent me that he was holding for stepping and I don't touch anything that's in there, at least not without telling him.

As the judging in FFR has gotten less strict and the number of steppers submitting has grown, I've found the odds of collisions has grown a lot - I still don't feel great about what happened with Aggressor, for example - and with that in mind I find being able to see everything is nice. More than a few times with the old Batch Search Engine, I heard a song that I was considering stepping then searched it only to find there was already a submission for it, and each time that happened I appreciated that functionality stopped me from investing hours into something that was already envisioned by someone else.
Yes there are solutions like adding in multiple difficulty tags or [Another] but even then I personally prefer not to step on anyone else's toes, and I imagine I'm not the only one who feels that way.
I would also point out that the pool of suitable music for FFR has grown a lot. We no longer have 4 files of the newest cornandbeans song in one batch or a 3-way "race" to get a Trisection v2 in queue. We have permission from -hundreds- of artists and Creative Commons licensing allows for countless more.

I don't speak from recent experience, but I think that nowadays you'd either have to step "VSRG meta" songs, or tread on someone's niche like :VS: to risk encountering this problem. But with so much music to choose from, shouldn't this conflict be getting more unlikely?
trumaestro is offline   Reply With Quote