shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Batch Review Thread v2.0

August 30, 2009

Judge Team 1

Korygon

{Lazy Summer Days} [-]
I'm not feeling the 24ths here. This is supposed to be a simple 8th note jump pattern chart. The 24ths, while not actually hard in reality, add a giant difficulty spike. You also go back and forth what you place your jumps too. Gets really inconsistent and annoying. Honestly I don't see this chart getting much of anywhere. Even as an easy chart it is just so repetitive. Maybe try following the melody much more closely and stop worrying about the background percussion as much, and make this a really really easy file? That's about all the advice I can offer.

11ELEVEN [+.]
The burst around m31 is just a little too much I think, at least at that speed. The 32nds are -dealable-, but that's just a little overkill. Other than that, while I hate the song, I think this is okay.

Above [+.]
For slow files like this, PR is really noticeable, and I don't know it just feels really off when the PR isn't right. I'm not gonna make this a required fix, but I would like to see it fixed.
Get rid of that first minijack. The second note should be a down arrow, not an up arrow
Also that last note really isn't needed.
After that I have no problem with this.

Action Winter Journey [+.]
I want the pattern on that first 32nd burst changed to something similar to the second (or just take it out completely). After that, this file is fine.

Adcar [?]
I don't really agree with the jacks at all in file. It's just too fast.
I question the use of the polyrhythms at m38
Anything above the use of 32nds in this file (with the exception of the green notes you use for syncing purposes) need to go. It's too fast for freaking 48th bursts.
Even though I hate the song, fix these and I can accept. Will be good to have another retardedly hard file for people to whore.

All of Yours [+.]
What's with the jumps in m8? They don't go to anything that requires jumps.
Techincally the lyrics in the beginning aren't exactly going to 16th notes, but for the sake of the easy file, it works. You start getting into colored notes with the lyrics around m28. Probably shouldn't do that if the rest of your file implies the lyrics as 16ths.
I'd avoid the use of jumpjacks in this file. Just doesn't really warrant them.
You also have an extra note added to your file at the end.
Fix this up and I will accept. PS this song is WAY more interesting at 1.4x rate. Just saying B)

Arrrrr [+]
I'm not a big fan of files that are purposely underlayered for the sake of making them easy, but I guess this is overall okay.

Badinerie [+.]
I really really think this file should be layered more. While good and short, the file feels a bit bland. It's passable, but I would like to see this layered more.

Banjo Kazooie Theme [+.]
If you are going to underlayer a file to make it easier while keeping it interesting, this is how you do it. nice job.
The 24th section is a little awkward. You do a good job of patterns with the 32nds, but I'd like the 24ths to be fixed.

Battlefield [-]
Doesn't this fall below the song length standards? Pretty sure it does.

Bit Blue [+]
Personally I don't like the jumpspam sections, but I guess they work so I can't complain.

Black and White [+.]
The patterns on some of the bursts are awkward to hit. I'd like you to go back through and fix them up. Other than that I see nothing wrong with this file.

Blame it on Bad Luck [+]
Ugh this is what I dreaded. 400 minute long emo rock songs (while the song isn't actually THAT long, they seem to last for a painful eternity. File is simple and straightforward. If you are into this kind of song then I guess you will enjoy this file.

Bury the Hatchet [+]
Contratry to Patashu, I like that you didn't layer the lyrics. I feel like they would have ruined the file. With the exception of that pattern Patashu mentioned, I like this file.

Loituma [+]
Why the hell would basshunter remix this? This is why he is such a bad artist.
File at least keeps this song interesting. Props for that.

CJ Funk [+]
Simple and enjoyable. Bursts for the most part are easy to hit which is a plus.

Cette Anne [+]
One of the files I tooled around with while I was waiting to see what I specifically was supposed to judge. Excellent file. The YMCK trills are all simple to hit, and that makes me a happy otter.

Chase You Down [+]
I liked pretty much everything about this file. Also another song that is much more fun on 1.5x rate. Now I see what you mean about listening to mostly vocal ridden songs lmao. Song is actually p. tite tho.

Chopin - Op.10 No.9 [+.]
Jumpstream gets a little dull
Jacks are a giant freaking difficulty boost, but they aren't terrible.

Chopin - Valse Op.69 No.2 [+]
Simple and fun

Clockwork - [+]
Honestly I found this way more fun before the break beat crap came in, but it works.

Csikos Post - [+]
Dang I'm giving out a lot of pluses. Hope I'm not being too lenient =/
File is short and enjoyable though.

Darkshark AAA'd this [--]
He also AAA'd my heart but you don't see me making a file about it.

Dead Hooker Smoothie [+?]
You really should finish this. This is one of the few breakbeat-ish files I was actually enjoying. I really see nothing I blatantly disagree with for this file, so finish it up and it was definitely warrant an accept.

Death Match - [?]
Another file that is really short, but this one is at least a mildly play-able length.
Really should be layered more. The gaps in this file just feel way too empty. Also the last 3 notes should not have a jack. Doesn't need one. Layer this up a bit more and I will accept.

Death Moon [-]
Pretty much the file itself is wrong with the file. I'm definitely fixing up my chart and sending it in. Not to be narcissistic but it's going to take a fantastic file for this to be able to make it in, so it's gonna have to be done by a slightly more upper level file artist.

Patashu

{Lazy Summer Days} (Xandertrax) [-]
Technically correct but has quirky design choices, such as...
-24ths? Really? In an 8th themed chart? And 24ths out of jumps at that. Yeah these are going to be real fun for weaker players. I do hear what they're going to, but I think 16ths would be a better choice.
-The jump step pattern that you start off with 25 seconds in is correct but since you're going to be doing it for so long, why not build into it? Do just the x..x..xxx..x..x etc melody then the one with gaps in it, then layer them together.
Transition 48 seconds in is good, the patterns are notably different.
59 seconds in I'd appreciate a swap to the hi hat, since what you do swap to is a downgrade. After the roll (should be 16ths of course) it plays a ..xxx.xx..xxx.xx..xxx.xx etc pattern, which works well imo.
70 seconds in: 16ths instead please. It's so fast it doesn't sound like any particular note interval anyway.
And after that: I know you're trying to emphasize that the melody has gaps, but it just feels so -weird- with a combination of the music not having overall gaps there and of the jumps not highlighting the strongest pitches of the melody anyway. If you follow what I said earlier you can point out that there are gaps in this melody earlier, and then have something more continuous with jumps used to stress melody. And 24ths....... yeah
16th pattern 106 seconds in on is bad. It's not particularly exciting for any mode and it's murder on one handers. Make it repetitive, sure, but something less archetypical.
Fade out and cut after 116 seconds unless you can think of a completely different, interest grabbing way of stepping the chorus again.

11ELEVEN (0) [+]
Nothing to object to here, besides that climax being MURDER. Augh. I'm sure someone will AAA it anyway but still.

Above (Silvuh) [+.]
Some of the things you step to are hard to hear above keytaps, and you ought to throw in more to the drums you can hear instead.
~16 seconds should not be a minijack, for instance. Piano three note jacks like the one at 19 seconds are TECHNICALLY correct, but a new player is never going to notice them over keytaps (I didn't at first!) Add to the fact that they're quite abraisive at this level, and you have a case for taking out the middle note of each.
40 seconds on I'd prefer emphasis on the (snare?) than on the bass kick that you will never hear while playing the chart. x.x..x.xx.x..x.xx or x.x..x..x.x..x..
~76 seconds on: You can leave the minijacks in from here 'till the end if you like. They'll be easier to hear now.

Action Winter Journey (Xandertrax) [?]
Everything is technically correct, but...it's kind of boring. Song choice I guess.

Adcar (samurai7694) [?]
Everything appears to have technical basis and it's fitting for a song to be so absurdly over done, but the 12th jacks push it. I'm not the right judge for this - give it to halogen or dossar or rubix or something and ask 'Would you enjoy playing this if it was on ffr?'

All of Yours (Heavy) (Silvuh) [+]
It's a low energy, long version rock song, but it's not BAD unless you hate playing through those. Couple of suggestions:
At 48 seconds in, the 'say what we were thinking' was misrhythmed - listen closer. When it's said again later in the song it's misrhythmed again.
60-63 seconds is misrhythmed - there's some quiet piano going on here, so turn your speakers up all the way.
70-71 seconds, lyrics misdone again
90 on feels underjumped. My first thought was 'put jumps to where guitar and snare overlap' but given how slow it is you could get away with putting four jumps in a row every time the guitar plays for a while. Have a think about it
114 on is also underjumped. Jumps to...snare, some layered combination? emphasize stronger lyrics like you did for a bit in the intro? dunno
At 192 on the first two measures seem inconsistent with how you do the rest of this, in a 'why is it like this and not like that' way. And what's up with that 32nd?
216: 32nd should be into the jump, not a 16th earlier where you put it

Arrrrr (Vote4Nixon) [+]
It's a pity FFR has the 'one chart per song except when we feel like it' rule or we wouldn't need to designate songs for being dumbed down. Still, nothing to object to.

Badinerie (BluearrowII) [+]
**** yes I love this song.
It's short so it's not too big a deal but have you considered after the first slowdown swapping to what the left hand does, instead of the right?

Banjo Kazooie Theme (Vote4Nixon) [+.]
sure I guess
are the 24ths necessary?

Battle Field (cedolad) [-]
INCREDIBLY short and an uninspiring song.
Minijacks are used inconsistently. They should be added and removed to make parts feel stronger/weaker
Has SSH remixed the battle theme from Shin Megami Tensei 1? Because if so step that it'd be much cooler

Bit Blue (Xandertrax) [+]
I would have preferred to see an easy counterpart to the Big Blue that already exists, but it -is- easier anyway so nothing to object to I suppose

Black and White (Silvuh) [?]
I was liking this, but after second 79 it just got sloppy. What is that 433 thing (like at 80.58) meant to be going to? (Tip: That set in particular is inaccurate even though the one at 83.666 is a true minijack.) Why are there colours where there should not be colours? The jumps didn't feel like they were going to the right things, some of them went to no emphasis.
Everything else is fine, though. A little odd, but I can play it and like it.

Blame It on Bad Luck (bluguerrilla) [+.]
I'm not sure in particular why I didn't like this as much as the other 'slow long rock song omfg I have to play THIS to max out my AAA bar???' charts. Maybe it's the relative lack of lyrical relevance or well I don't know really. It tends to feel a bit samier because the lyrics vary more than the 'backings' that form the rest of the song, but it's solidly stepped if you ignore that.
One thing I would suggest: The transistion into the first chorus has a nice hitting of the open hi hat that I'd like to see done with constant jumps or a jack or something

Bury the Hatchet (samurai7694 + Coolboyrulez0) [+.]
It's good, but it bothers me that the lyrics aren't factored in at all. Lots of parts are quite noisy with the only things that stand out being the lyrics, after all.
Some oddities:
-Are those 8ths during the 12th part really right?
-Not enjoying that 1[12]22 pattern rofl
-171 seconds on isn't NEARLY dramatic enough. I mean come on it's climactic as hell, where are my jumpspams and epic background guitar solos

Loituma - Basshunter remix [championanwar] [+]
****ty song, good stepfile.
I'd like to see one-off changes in the drums being stepped, such as:
-12-15 second, the every third 8th sweeps you hear
-26 seconds: 16th before this measure starts
-55.5 seconds: How about a 16th drum sweep here? You're going to hear that part of the vocals later anyway
-69-70 seconds: doof doof pause doof doof
-72-73 seconds
-100-101 seconds: drum triplet kick

C7 Funk (Xandertrax) [+]
Some of the bursts seem suspect, but I'm not checking them for you hehu
File seems fine otherwise so

Cette Annee(who_cares973) [+]
better on solo hehu
couple of omissions I noticed:
around 81 seconds (and again around 140.2 seconds) there's some stream missing
the yellow jump at 90.265 seconds is missing

Chase You Down (Silvuh) [+]
The chorus needs more jumps, it's more energetic then that. Basically every emphasized vocal syllable should have one, plus the combinations of guitar and piano that hit blue near the end of every measure like at 77.759, 80.566...
People are probably going to hate playing this to have to get an AAA, which is a shame because it's great if all you want is something chill

Chopin - Op.10 No.9 (SKG_Scintill) [+]
The jacks at the end make me want to cry ;_; THEY'RE ONE NOTE TOO LONG OMFG CAN'T COMBO
Not as good as the other chopin simfile but I can't say no to a good classical simfile.
p.s. you missed one blue jump at 41.8 seconds

Chopin - Valse Op.69 No.2 (SKG_Scintill) [+]
Solid.
Sync seems good but it wouldn't hurt to give it a sweep or two in ddream.

Clockwork (Xandertrax) [+.]
At 54.5 seconds in I would enjoy a transistion to something with more 8ths in it.
The extra 32nd notes before the big rolls are hell. EDIT: Nevermind, I can do them after a few tries.

Csikos Post (woker-X) [+]
It's simple but there's nothing to object to, so

Darkshark AAA'd This! (customstuff) [--]
no he didn't. -- for lieing

Dead Hooker Smoothie (Vote4Nixon) [?]
Oh man this feels awesome but it's so short. Couldn't you keep going? :'(
I can't accept because it's not long enough so keep stepping it. What you have so far has the right feel but could be tweaked to provide more information than noise, by using more minijacks, changing where the gaps are and so on to the instruments.
Basically just comb over it, and if you're not seeing anything to change have someone look at it
Examples:
23 seconds in - should be a series of yellow jumps not that colour ****
27 seconds in: the triplet leading into this should be jump minijacked 16th jump imo
around 28.5 seconds: more minijacks and/or jumps to firm bass hits?
30 seconds in: a 16th before and after this jump
So please finish this~

Death Match (cedolad) [?]
It's an interesting idea, but the lack of variation in the minijack patterns gets to me. (I love that pattern, but I can't do it over and over without starting to crack.)
Also, the second half has lots of inaccuracies. The blue pink stuff leading into 24ths can't be right, and in the last quarter there are two noisy bits where you have gaps instead of some cool intense ****.
WAY too short.

Death Moon (Kasane Teto) [-]
that's no death moon. that's a space station

psychoangel691

{Lazy Summer Days} (Xandertrax) [?]

With the way you have this song stepped right now the 24ths don't fit with the overall difficulty of the chart. You can go a couple ways with this, you can get rid of the 24ths and go with 16ths if you'd like this to be an easier chart or in my opinion this song can actually make for a pretty good lvl 8 or 9 chart.
- At measure 33 the song starts to build up, then at measure 41 there's a high hat and a clap that comes in. With proper layering you can easily bump the difficulty to where the 24ths wont seem so out of place.
- At measure 49 the song starts to have a real energy to it but the chart is just kind of boring here for how high the energy is. I would work on some layering/pattern choices here to give it that high energy feel.
-m65 to m73 nice little cool down section, but it's a bit repetitive. Don't be afraid to play around and vary up your patterns.
-For the most part I like the 16ths section but m75 to m77 the pattern your repeating feels a bit awkward to me.
-m81 we come back to the high energy again like with m49.
- For the ending I would just vary up your patterns a little bit to get rid of that repetitive feel.
-Also watch your pattern choices and the transitions into them. Some of the 24ths feel a bit awkward to transition into.
I really enjoy the song and the energy it has I'd love to see it fixed up.

11ELEVEN (0) [+.]

While I feel it's a bit overlayered in certain spots it keeps the overall difficulty up.
I'm not too fond of the burst at m31 but it's doable.
The patterns flow pretty nicely throughout and it makes for another good hard chart for the game.

Above (Silvuh) [+.]

I don't really have anything to add to what the other judges have already said. Overall just a pretty good easy file.

Action Winter Journey (Xandertrax) [+?]

The file is correct but it really is just kinda boring. I don't think it really has that replayability factor.

Adcar (samurai7694) [?]

Holy hard file lol. Well one thing I've come to really like about your files is the pattern choices. Somehow you seem to pick burst patterns that look awful yet they flow well.
There are a few burst patterns that seem hardly possible to do in this one though and the jacks I think are just a little too much overkill in this file. But for a hard chart for people like dossar and rubix it will be a challenge.
I'd say kill off those jacks and maybe go over a few of your burst patterns again.

All of Yours (Heavy)(Silvuh) [+?]

The other judges already mentioned the things I'd bring up when it comes to this file. I'd rather see some of those changes taken care of before the file is put into game but they aren't so horrible that I don't think the file can be accepted.

Arrrrr (Vote4Nixon) [+]

Really not much to say about this, makes for a good easy chart.
I definitely think FFR needs to do away with the one chart per song rule because I'd love to see a harder chart for this song.

Badinerie (BluearrowII) [+]

Second time I get to judge this file ^_^ Overall just a good fun file to play.
There are some sections you could layer more but I think it works the way it is.

Banjo Kazooie Theme (Vote4Nixon)[+.]

This is just one of those it's okay kind of files. There's nothing really wrong with it, has some fun factor but yet kinda plain feeling at the same time.

Battle Field (cedolad) [-]

The minijacks are used incorrectly and the song is just too short.

Bit Blue (Xandertrax) [+]

Overall a pretty fun file to play.
I'm not a huge fan of the hand usage but it does work.

Black and White (Silvuh)[+.]

I remember when I first looked at this file I wondered what the colored stuff went to. I played with my headphones on this time so I can hear it now but some of the patterns are a little awkward. I wouldn't mind seeing those fixed up but other than that I find this file fun to play.

Blame It on Bad Luck (bluguerrilla) [+.]

I find this a little boring and a bit repetitive but that may also be because I'm another one of those people that can't really stand playing the long lower level rock songs. They just feel like they drag on forever to me. But there's really nothing wrong with the chart.

Bury the Hatchet (samurai7694 + Coolboyrulez0) [+.]

Again longer rock songs aren't really my thing but at least with this one there's some stuff to keep me on my toes.
I think it's fine without the lyrics being factored in and don't really have anything to add to what the other judges have already said.

Loituma - Basshunter remix [championanwar][+.]

Well unlike the other two I actually like this song. Overall good chart and fun to play.
I do agree with the changes patashu mentioned though.

C7 Funk (Xandertrax)[+.]

The only thing with this for me was it started to feel boring. It may more so just be the song rather than the chart but it felt like it was dragging.
The bursts are nice and easy to hit and for the most part it's an enjoyable file to play.

Cette Annee (who_cares973) [+]

Some of the patterns felt a little awkward to me but overall great chart and fun to play.

Chase You Down (Silvuh) [+]

Nice chill mellow song which is great for those who enjoy that but again another song that most people are going to dread having to do. But a good file for the song.

Chopin - Op.10 No.9 (SKG_Scintill) [+.]

I kept getting lost in the jumpstream lol.
Some of the jacks are kinda hard to hit but they fit.

Chopin - Valse Op.69 No.2 (SKG_Scintill)[+]

I like this one a little more than the other. The chart flows nicely and is pretty fun to play.

Clockwork (Xandertrax) [+.]

From m21 to m36 it feels like there should be more done to it. The song is high energy there and the steps are just kinda bland for it. Otherwise I really like this chart. I think it's a lot of fun to play and I love the rolls

Csikos Post (Woker-X)[+]

Another one I'm rejudging from df XD. Anyways, I've always found this to be a really fun file to play.

Darkshark AAA'd This! (customstuff) [--]

Yea not even playing this.......

Dead Hooker Smoothie (Vote4Nixon) [?]

I'm really liking this file. I love the pattern usage in it. Please finish this it cuts off way too soon.

Death Match (cedolad) [-]

Again a short file. I don't really agree with your mini jack usage in this file and there are layering inconsistencies. Those gaps really need to be layered more to fit in with the rest of the chart.

Death Moon (Kasane Teto) [-]

I honestly didn't even finish playing it all the way through. Just massive inaccuracies all over the place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Judge Team 2

jimerax

Death Traveller (Vote4Nixon) [+.]
misplaced jack on m36.
a bit weird sound choice imo but somewhat replayable overall.

deco stop[The5thMoon] [?]
there're kinda misplaced jacks/32nds, and some misrhythms.
this will be decent with some burst/pattern tweak, song-wise.

Directly Perfectly (Erothyme) [<]
similar structure, but another one is better pattern-wise.

Directly Perfectly[Short Edit](who_cares973) [+.]
4th on m12 beat1 isn't needed. m58-59 4-arrow jacks could be added imo.
there're many ways for sound/rhythm choice of this song, on some of those I might
do differently but most are ok.

disco 80's (bmah) [+.]
one-handed 32nd mini-trills are awkward compared to others.
some minijack placement could be different but overall good for the song/difficulty.

Dizzay (customstuff) [?]
pretty interesting song choice, but steps offsync and some BS notes overall.
if sync is fixed this would be nice (major work though).

Dreamin' In The 80's (bluguerrilla) [+.]
Technically accurate for the most part. some parts (m21-m28) might be a bit too much for the
music intensity imo. missing 16th on m13, 32nds on m49. Decent and fun file nontheless.

Dumpstream (0) [+?]
simply and accrately go with PR/layering.
might be nice for practice or something but overall felt pretty repetitive.
need some song editing or pattern changes for a replayable file.

Eating Crow (bluguerrilla & Coolboyrulez0) [+?]
mostly I could get steps, a bit inconsistent stream placement(also tambourines are weak for streams).
pretty repetitive for a 3 minutes song though, so songcut is recommended.

Epileptic Crisis (suicidaln00b) [-]
inaccurate rhythms overall, and pretty awkward pattern choice on some bursts.
permission about this is kinda unclear.

ESC - Amplified T Squared Mix (DarkZtar) [+?]
Rhythms feel mostly accurate. Felt some jacks, 64th patterns, jumptrills could add some
tweaks for better playability.

Experiment (championanwar) [+?]
overall decent easy file, patterns are kind of random-ish and a bit awkward jump
placement imo. also felt like missing some rhythms/notes but maybe ok for an easy file.

Extreme Dishwasher Race (megamon88) [+?]
some burst notes seem unnecessary in m9, m30.
chart is mostly fine but they kinda lack pattern variety/jack usage could be better.
(i.e. trills could be better than rolls on stronger 24ths, etc)

Field of Snow v2 (Stavie33) [-]
PR, consistency could be better overall. beginning should be stepped as 8ths.
Most triples, quads, jacks aren't very music relevant. There're 24th-32nd misrhythms.

Floating Through Time(who_cares973) [+]
pretty mild jump/grace notes usage but fine as an easy file. overall good.

For FFR v2 (TC_Cyrenics) [?]
inconsistent 16ths placement overall (matter of rhythm choice).
a burst on m18 could be stepped. m35-36 should be PR, after that piano rhythms are wrong.

Fruhlingsrauschen (Xandertrax) [?]
It doesn't seem to be changed much since last time I looked at this file.
basically giga-JS file for a MIDI piano song, with some offsync parts.

Gene Gadget Zone - Act 1 (TC_Cyrenics + bmah) [-]
multiple charts

Greensleeves (woker-X) [+]
felt slightly long for an easy file but good sync, nothing wrong.

Grocery Escape Plan [dore and blu sorta] [+.]
there're some overlayered parts and offsync parts (esp 24ths).
unique song/structure and overall enjoyable though.

Hand Throw (OperationStrawbarry) [-]
voice parts aren't synced well (use proper color notes).
from m24, off by 16ths? quit out.

Happy Guy Falls Off A Not So Happy Mountian (Shadowlessheart) [?]
short song, PR could be better. I doubt it's queue worthy.

Hate [WTFBrandon] [+?]
on parts like m38, need to add a 32nd this way? on m90 arrows are faster than the voice.
It has interesting features for piano/voices, but felt a bit long.

Holy War (DJAirWave) [?]
gap early by 35ms. PR could be better on some parts, ending minijacks are awkward.
also, not a fan of sound choices overall.

Honey Cookie (0) [+?]
m24-27, felt patterns are chosen for the difficulty rather than playability.
mostly ok in terms of technicality, but needs some pattern tweak overall.

Lunar Dial (Vote4Nixon) [+?]
ending 24ths are 16ths, patterns (pr could be better, jacks could be used on some parts).
gets slightly offsync towards the end.
some 32nds and 16ths+jumps are mildly enjoyable, but repetitive overall as well.

TC_Halogen

Death Traveller (Vote4Nixon) [+.] (9)
This chart has an awkward feel to it...
m10-24 feels strangely accented because you opted to choose the quiet, background riffs - it leaves you no room to accent more important things like cymbal crashes.
m32-34: why'd you stop accenting the snare?
m36 - beat 143.500, misplaced jack
m44 - missed jump according to your layering (there are two piano notes there)

Overall, the layering is proper, and the pseudo-pitch relevant run is a interesting touch, but it feels strange because it doesn't feel accented properly to me; it's a fairly subjective issue though.

Deco Stop (The5thMoon) [-]
This song definitely could use a cut.

Inconsistent step choice throughout the slower sections - same step mini-jacks are indicative of something going on where there's nothing really there. The snares and bass drums are accented properly, but the slower sections drag on much longer than they should. The faster sections have accenting issues - some snares are accented and others aren't.

The roll at m99 ending in 64ths is a bit ridiculous for 202 BPM.

There's just a lot of issues scattered throughout this chart, and it was rough to make it through.

Directly Perfectly (???) [?]
Layering is correct, but uses the same patterns throughout the chart and doesn't accommodate for the constant changes in pitch for the synthesized melody. Just overall plain.

Directly Perfectly (who_cares973) [+.] (11)
Missing a fair amount 24th blips (you only see them once, at m12??)/32nd hi-hat bursts, but you seem to cover those where they fit the most. I prefer this chart over the other one because it takes account of the synth which does have a very nice, distinguished melody. Chart flows fairly nicely aside from the mini-jacks, but they hold accuracy to the music so I can't really nail you on that.

Disco 80's (bmah) [+.] (9)
Only reason you're getting a +. and not a + from me is because the song just DRAGS. The chart is accurate, and it actually has some interesting pattern choice. I find it fun, but I can't stand listening to the song.

Dizzay (customstuff) [-]
Sync deviates like crazy, song is very uninteresting, and the chart is just all over the place. I see some percussion relevance, but the overall pattern choice and structure is not pleasant.

Dreamin' In The 80s (bluguerilla) [+.] (8)
Pretty nifty little easy chart you have here. Absolutely LOVE the pitch-relevancy hidden within the run in measures 15 to 19. Only thing I have to say that irks me about the chart is the BPM shifting from 100 to 200 when the song sounds fairly slow paced, even behind the piano runs.

Dumpstream (0) [-]
accurate, but seriously not fun - no one is going to appreciate 270 BPM runningmen. Also, I see a lot of copy/paste.

Eating Crow (bluguerilla & Coolboyrulez0) [+?]
Jump usage is a bit odd in the vocal areas in m17-m24 - the repetition of the vocals makes sense but it seems like you don't bother to accent them in the first half, which irks me slightly. m43-46 and m64-70, while correct, feel overlayered because of what's being used. I personally think this song would do better with an easier chart, and it also feels a lot longer than it really is.

Epileptic Crisis (suicidaln00b) [?/!]
I don't recall us ever having permission to use this song. Chart has really poor pattern choice, and some of the bursts are just god-awful choice for the BPM that the song is(m15,19,20,22,etc.). If there's any consolation to this, there's at least proper layering for a decent amount of the chart.

ESC - Amplified T Squared Mix (DarkZtar) [+?]
Inconsistent bass drum accenting in the beginning, make sure you catch all of them that you can without layering into any of the bursts.

m12 - remove the mini-jack that forms from coming into this burst
m20 - change all of the flams to the same two notes; you switch it at the end.
m21 - take out the 8th note of the first 32nd sequence to give that separated feel. Beat 83.000 - should be a 32nd roll here.
m33 - change the very end of this snare sequence since a different percussion comes over the top of the snare.
m72 - even with the snare building up, you could probably fit the jacks for the voice if you wanted to, just don't layer them, keep it as a single stream

m58-m72 is REALLY intense, but man would that be one hell of a nice challenge for some of the upper level players; I'd really like to see this in game with some of these fixes.

Experiment (championanwar) [+] (7)
Nice lower-level chart. Flows pretty nicely and the usage of 32nds isn't really seen consistently without bursts, which is also pretty neat. Song feels a little longer than it should, but nothing too bad.

Extreme Dishwasher Race (megamon88) [+.] (10)
Layering is clean for the most part. Some of the mini-jacks are a bit questionable. Synth melody from m17 to m24 is nicely stepped with the exception of the two mini-jacks in m20. Layering in m43 is a bit awkward only because of your choice in the section before it, not much to be changed there. Any reason why you're missing the layering for the sound at beat 178.750 (m45) until the end of the song? Fairly fun chart.

Field of Snow (stavie33) [-]
Lack of pitch relevance where the chart could definitely use it, and the layering is extremely inconsistent - you have two verses (m22-38/m66-82) that sound the same (in fact, the second one has MORE) but are stepped entirely differently. The mini-jack usage throughout the chart makes it feel extremely rigid and forced, and the extreme layering just shows that you wanted to accommodate for every sound, rather than making a chart that focuses on a few things.

Floating Through Time (who_cares973) [+] (5)
Simple chart with pitch relevancy and a decent amount of patterns to keep the player busy.

For FFR v2 (TC_Cyrenics) [?]
misrhythm in m7, ghost notes in m8/m9; grace notes in m40 not needed; ghost note in m62 (b245.875), ghost notes in m66/m67/m72/m74, and the BPM change at the end is totally unnecessary (although it might provide a nice visual gimmick once converted to FFR).

Overall, the patterns are a bit bland, and there's a lack of attention towards very specific rhythms. I will say that I did like the runningmen from measures 45 to 48.

Frühlingsrauschen (Xandertrax) [-]
m2/m3/m4/m33 is missing the last 32nd note in the run; m5/6/34/35 24th note bursts are misrhythms; not liking the intentional mis-quantize at m16-m21; the beginning of m26 is faster than 24ths; m28-31 is missing layering for the higher treble-clef notes (start at beat 109.667)...

...the errors stack up so much in this file. There's some (incorrect) pitch-relevancy throughout the chart, coupled with a not-so-great pattern choice.

Gene Gadget Zone (TC_Cyrenics & bmah) [+.] (9)
I like how you're able to maintain instrument revelance even without displaying proper pitch fairly deep into the song - it took me quite a few repeats of the introduction to see that you kept that relevance in that awkward sounding synth pretty far into the beginning. The rest of the chart holds focus on two instruments, and when it does so, it does so properly. It's a bit difficult to notice at first glance, though. Song drags on a bit, but nothing major.

Greensleeves (woker-X) [+.] (6)
Long, but very nicely stepped overall.

Grocery Escape Plan (dore & bluguerilla) [fgsfds]
I couldn't stop laughing while listening to this song, holy ****. In all seriousness though, the chart is a pretty typical dore chart - heavily layered and will not stray away from the same patterns if the same instrument or sound is played. The jack usage is a bit rough though. My actual rating for this would probably be a [+?].

Hand Throw (OperationStrawberry) [-]
Sync is completely off and couldn't even get through enough of the song to figure out what the hell is going on - quit out.

Happy Guy Falls Off A Not So Happy Mountain (Shadowlessheart) [?]
I do see some understanding of relevance in pitch, but the song overall just doesn't have any sort of replayability. It's also a bit too short...

Hate (WTFBrandon) [?]
Chart makes sense in that it focuses on two instruments, however, using this layering throughout the entire chart makes it extremely boring, not to mention the chart structure is very strange.

Holy War (DJAirWave) [?]
For an easier chart, PR isn't entirely necessary, but when it's obvious that you're trying to have that relevance and it's incorrect, it looks strange. Mini-jacks at 170 BPM in a lower-level chart isn't exactly the best of pattern choices. With a little bit of correction in pattern choice, this could be a decent file for a great song.

Honey Cookie (0) [-]
Started great. Hit m16. Quit out immediately.

Lunar Dial (Vote4Nixon) [+?]
m2-m5: arguably incorrect due to a lack of cymbal representation, but I do understand what you're going to so it becomes subjective
m15 (beat 58.000) - would love to see flams or some color accent of the added instrument because it does sound slightly offset
m18-m20: another arguably incorrect section due to lack of layering, but it lets the player know that you've opted out of layering for a reason, another subjective issue
m34/m82: I wonder what this would look like if you were to make what you have here all singles and layer things around it...

m61/m109: perfect chance for an extreme climax and you don't take it - background bass rush for almost a measure would have been nice to see.
m96-m108: interesting layering choice, not in a bad way either
m62-m70/m110-118: step these guitar solos; your file is already repetitive enough using this layering, give the player something different

This file has a great foundation, but the fun factor of the file gets dragged away due to the repetitive nature of the song.

Silvuh

Death Traveller / 44teru-k / Vote4Nixon [?]
Offset:-1.003s
m7–8 maybe add some notes to percussion for better transition.
m10–26 When the less-emphasized synth sounds are stepped could be more consistent.
m15, m23 It's nice that you avoid minijacks with the way you placed jumps and didn't jump all the melody notes, but the melody does have some minijacks in it.
m24 Maybe fill in the bass percussion to transition into the next section.
m26 The jacks at the beginning of this measure: there's that same sound between the 8th jump and 4th after it. And then the last 16th in this measure is one of those same faint echoey noises you have jacks placed to. The inconsistency here is a little odd.
Having the minijacks to these sounds in the stream is fine to help distinguish them from the other sounds.
m28 There's an ABA triplet at the start of m28 similar to those other minijacks you have stepped.
You missed some percussion notes that would be nice to have to go along with the progression in the music, and m32–33 shouldn't be difficult, but it shouldn't be that empty.
Make sure to avoid unnecessary trills in the stream.
m36 the jack is with the 16th before, not after, the 8th.
The first note of m44 should be a jump.
I don't feel like the melody in m45 (.xxxx.x.xx..) is emphasized properly. Perhaps remove the background piano and just step this melody in that measure. Fiddle with that a bit.
The end of this section starts to have percussion, so this section should be just like the last section. Maybe put jumps to the melody here.

deco stop / wisp / The5thMoon [-]
BPM:101.503/203.006
Offset:-0.033
The whole file has some issues with unnecessary minijacks (e.g. m8, m34–m36, m43, m44, m46, m47, m49, m50, m58, m60, m61, ... &c.)
Took me a bit to figure the sixtheenth patterns in m21-23 don't go to the percussion after being conditioned by 20 measures of hi-hat sixteenths. And there are multiple sounds being stepped here, so you might could figure something different to do there.
Which percussion sounds have jumps to them are a little backwards at times. (e.g. m32–33, m58 ...)
The 12th jumps-jacks are unnecessary. You have 12th trills in some instances of the same sounds.
m52 These piano sounds don't make 16ths.
Some sounds are ignored around places where they aren't, even when it wouldn't interrupt with the other notes. (e.g. m52–55 ...).
Sometimes the notes to the hi-hats make awkward patterns, like in m61.
You have some really fast rolls near the end. Some sounds just don't feel emphasized enough for the rolls to be necessary.
And the 64th burst gets a big "No". There are other 64ths you didn't step, so there's no reason for this to be here.
The sync gets off by 12 milliseconds around the end (about a 96th of a beat). Try using 101.503 and 203.006 throughout the music. (You can make this change a lot of faster through the .sm file.)

Directly Perfectly / Erothyme
It's confusing how very few of the burts are stepped the same between the two files.
All this buzzing is making my head hurt, hahaha. When trying to figure which ones should be stepped, I mean. I really like this music.
I think it'd take more effort than necessary for these judging notes to really get into the differences between these two files and which patterns are better and stuff...
With how nice and slow the song starts, I'm not sure if all the bursts are necessary there.
m45-48 is another one of those laid-back sections I think could use fewer arrows.
That's what's kind of making me not want to accept these files, even when the patterns are mostly correct.

(wc) [+?]
I don't get why the 24th thing is only stepped in m12 here. (I think this should be removed).
The patterns in this file were generally more comfortable to play.

(Erothyme) [<]
Offset:-2.507s
The 24th trills seem odd when the percussion on the 4th is different. And I don't really like their being there in general, because I can't hear the sound they go to while I play the song very well.

disco 80's / YU / bmah [?]
It's odd, but, this file didn't do anything for me.
m29 Like I'd have expected all the notes to the sound repeating the vocal melody here to be stepped..
A lot of the begining sections seem empty, and then ... with all the emphasizing you do to the vocals...
At least the patterns are good in regards to playability.

Dizzay / Doormouse / customstuff [-]
I'll look at the patterns when you get the sync right. I'd suggest looking at this in ddreamstudio. If you can't figure it out, you can ask for my help.

Dreamin' In The 80's / DJ SymBioTiX / bluguerrilla [+?]
m13: Missed some hi-hats(?).
m18: The background synth stuff starts really low here. Could mess with the PR a little here.
m22: Not sure why you didn't step the percussion here.
m23b88.75/m26b100.75: These pitches have a AB AB AC pattern.
The m29–44 area needs another looking over. When you made it, I bet you had some good layering rules in there, but as a player, I keep hearing sounds I expect to be stepped (because of other parts of the file) left unstepped and vice versa and stuff.

Dumpstream / kommisar[os] / 0 [-]
Offset:-2.853s
I had zero funs while playing this. As accurate as it is, it's just ... unnecessary.

Eating Crow / DJ Donna Summer / bluguerrilla & Coolboyrulez0 [+]
This is my favorite file to play of this bunch. The progression is stepped very well.
I don't mind the jumpstreams, because they do sound fuller than the other parts of the song, and it's more noticeable at the end with the regression.
m32 There's like a measure-and-a-half-long eighth jack here. Might want to avoid things like those. Only gripe.

Epileptic Crisis / Nightmare / suicidaln00b [-]
Not too bad of a start, but still needs a good deal work with patterns and such.
m9: The trill is too long for the bass.
Which sounds you put the bursts to is too inconsistent. And you didn't step some bursts all the way through...
You should really look at all your bursts again, and at a lower rate so you can really hear what's going on, making sure you don't step too much ... And those 32nd trills are unnecessary.

ESC (Amplified T Squared Mix) / onoken feat. detach / DarkZtar [?]
The first two arrows should be removed. The loud stuff starts on the 16th.
The jumps in the first section are a bit inconsistent.
Missed a few notes here and there, like in m41 ...
And I'm a bit partial against music like this, but you got most of the sounds right, and none of the patterns are too obnoxious, but I kinda felt like it would get a little messy at times...

Experiment / Silentoath / championanwar [?]
Offset:-0.034s
This file doesn't seem like it goes anywhere.
Like when this new melody starts at m33, there's nothing else layered there, unlike the m9–24/49–60 parts which, song-wise, don't feel as active as this m33 part.
m47: I don't really like how arbitrarily this ends.

Extreme Dishwasher Race / Sanxion7 / megamon88 [+.]
m9: I'm not sure about these 48ths, because the sound continues until the hand, and you didn't step other instances of this.
I don't really agree with all the jumps in the opening stream. Might could find a different way to layer those sounds.
m28: You put these 64ths to a 96th burst. ... but stepping that would be crazy, so I'd suggest a 48th burst starting from the 16th.
That bass sound thing that you have those minijacks too, you should also make sure whenever there's an eighth jack with that sound, that that's distinguished. You can really hear these at like 1.2x.
m54: This one is a little early.

Field of Snow / KgZ / stavie33 [-]
Offset:1.512s
With all the sounds that are stepped at times, it's weird when you start ignoring everything.
There's lots of inconsistencies with that. ... And the PR needs some work ... I think this song does have potential for a V2, but this ... isn't it.

Floating Through Time / The Flashbulb / wc [+?]
Because this is PR-centric, I suppose getting into detail wouldn't be a bad thing here.
With some of the complexity, like, I mean, the different notes on a beat being both higher and lower than the previous note, it gets a little confusing... It's almost like a four-key file won't feel right for this music.
Overlayering jumps wouldn't be good, but with as few jumps as there are, that doesn't feel quite right either... Like some of those streams could use some jumps, I think.
6.850s: The second 16th is a lower pitch than the first.
11.160s: The 8th has the same pitch as a note in the 4th jump.
13.555s: Two of the same pitches here too.
19.326s: This 1 should be a 7.
34.675s: These two 4ths have a note of the same pitch. And because the higher note is much more noticeable, this would be a better place for a jump.
43.376s: I don't hear this 16th.
42.176–45.996s Check these pitches again.
61.817s: I don't hear this 16th.

for FFR (V2) / DJ Rage VI / TC_Cyrenics [?]
Offset:-0.029s
The 16ths in the opening need another looking-over.
When the 8th stream starts, there are some minijacks and minitrills you didn't PR right.
m26–27: I don't think all these 16ths should be here.
And this section afterwards feels a little messy.
m35–36: Could use some PR.
There are some more piano sounds in this next section you might want to step, and one of your 16ths doesn't go to anything.
m56 section: Not all of your minitrills are going to minitrill sounds here.
m61: This 7 jump should be a 1 because it doesn't have the same pitches as the sixteenths.
m62: You have multiple ghost arrows here.
m64–&c.: Same as the opening. You got more of those minijacks right here; that's good.
The first part of the ending stream has some ghost notes.

Frühlingsrauchen / C. Sinding / Xandertrax [?]
b0: the eighth has the highest pitch here. The first two blue notes have the same pitch, and the next six blues have a different same pitch. And that repeats. I don't know how fun the patterns would be taking that into account, though, but ... yeah.
b18,23,133,137: These 24/32nds are actually 28ths. You can approximate these with 192nds, or use my suggestion below when I mention the 20ths.
b31: because these 32nds are so quiet, especially compared to the next section, it may be a good idea to remove them.
When you start to change the BPM, you get about 23 ms off for the rest of the file.
Instead of unquantizing the file to step the 20ths, I'd suggest you do something else:
Open this file in ddreamstudio, delete the sub-beats that are present, and use Grow to return everything to 105BPM.
And just ... delete everything in this unquantized section. But don't save over the .sm yet so you can have SM open and look at the patterns you have while you fill them in properly-quantized.
Because the 20ths and 28ths have an odd number of sounds in one beat, you can't really have a nice repeating color pattern like with 24ths and 32nds... but you should do something that would distinguish these odd beats from the even ones. In ddreamstudio, you can use sub-beats to put any color on a sound... So perhaps make ABCCBA or ABCDEA or ABBBBA patterns with the colors.
It doesn't really make sense that you jump all the melody notes in the 32nds, but not in the 24ths.
b122: The 32nds don't start again until the first 16th.

Gene Gadget Zone Act 1 / Richard Jacques / TC_Cyrenics & bmah [?]
I'm going to mess with this a bit later. Going to try a three-way collab thing here. Already talked with bmah about it, and yeah...

Greensleeves / David Nevue / woker-X [+.]
Good job with the syncing here. Just a few things:
m17,29,42: You missed minijacks in the melody in these measures.
m45/46: You can avoid this eighth minijack here.
m91–94: Theses three B jumps are on different pitches, and at least the last one should be something else so it's not the same as the 2 B jumps after it which are on the same pitch.
Otherwise, the pitch relevancy is pretty good. I like avoiding unnecessary minijacks in songs like this, because of how much more wrong it feels when two notes are on the same arrow but are not of the same pitch.

Grocery Escape Plan / Psychostick / dore & bluguerilla [+]
I'll let this through. With a song like this, there really isn't anything else you should do. The layering is just right and such.

Hand Throw / Venetian Snares / OperationStrawberry [-]
I'll look at the patterns when you can get the sync right. If you can't figure it out even after looking at it in ddreamstudio, ask me and I will help you over a messenger or something.
The first sound is closer to about 0.400s into the song.
And then the voice sound that starts at about 0.507s has eight sounds at about 10.43 sounds per second. (With 16ths at 125 BPM, you have 8.33 sounds/sec.) Jack sounds like those will be much easier to sync because it's not ambiguous where the sounds start.
In the opening, there are jumps to unaccented syllables that shouldn't be there.
In the 32nd trill you have here starting at 18.08s, you stepped 16.66 sounds/s, but the actual frequency is about 26.28±1 sounds/s starting at about 18.056s.
The trills you have starting at 19.160s are even worse. You have 12 arrows for 8 sounds, all at 16.66 sounds/s.
The first trill should start at about 19.256s at about 18.1±0.6 sounds/s, and the second trill should start at about 19.473s, then there's a slight rhythm delay, and the next three sounds occur at 14.23 sounds/s.
Using ddreamstudio helps me with getting these values. It's much easier to tell when a note is offsync. I hope those values will help you figure out what BPMs and rhythms you want to use (which is why I didn't give BPM values, because that'd assume you'd be using the same rhythms.)
P.S. You can tell there's a lot of difference between what you hear in your right and left ears. Maybe you could consider stepping panning relevancy?

Happy Guy Falls Off a Not-So-Happy Mountain / Ferras Mode / Shadowlessheart [?]
Offest: 2.419s
It's eight measures copied and pasted again. Not sure if that's the best thing for a file. It's a tad uninspiring.
All the 16th patterns have the same the same contour, so only the 16th patterns in your file that are "correct" are the ones at the end of each repeat.
My main PR gripe are for the patterns in m8/16. The melody doesn't make a trill like that.

Hate / Brandon Brown / WTFBrandon [+?]
It's not bad, but ... uh. I would give a +., but I have this question mark lingering over my head...
Most of the file is pretty simple, so things like that 24th trill are a no-go.

Holy War / DJAirWave / DJAirWave [+?]
Offset: -0.032s or -0.043 or something.
Some of the pitch things I mentioned you may already know, but it is possible to make good patterns taking them into account. Some of the fixes are easy, some require moving some other patterns around it... A lot of the pitch relevancy is really good, but it still needs some work.
m9: I'd make this jump a 7 instead of a 1 so there's no 4th jack with the next note in the melody.
m13b51: The melody makes a trill here, and you'd have to move the trills around after this a bit to accommodate for that.
m17–24: I don't agree with the chains in this section. Step like the first three measures here, because the drum does different pitches like that.
m25: The first eighth has a lower pitch than the others in the jack, so you might could move the patterns before the eighth a bit to make that distinction.
m27,m28: Move b107 right because it has the same pitch as b108. The four pitches after b108 make a trill.
m29: These first two notes don't go to the same pitch (look out for these), and the first eighth is a different pitch than the next ones, anyway.
m31: The melody goes CBABCBCDEDCDCB And you have the ----CBCDEDCDCB down perfectly, and that shouldn't change.
But for the first four notes of m31, the pattern 2464(242 &c...) would match the rest of the measure, but then you'd have to move the long jack from the previous measure to an arrow other than the left arrow so it's not confused with the B pitches in this measure.
m33: The melody doesn't make a jack at the start until m37. The last eighth note of m34 is the same pitch as the ones that start m35. The four in m35 are different pitches than the four in m36. The four in m39 are different than the four in m40.
You should be able to figure how to improve the rest of this section now.
m57 section: You just add jumps to the percussion, but I don't think the percussion itself is really emphasized enough for this. Perhaps only put jumps to the lone 4ths in the percussion, layer in the melody without stepping the eighths between the gallops in the percussion, then making the three notes together in the percussion a jack in the melody notes.

Honey Cookie / Fether / 0 [-]
This file won't get accepted with those jumps on every chord like that.
I'd say just put jumps to the bass in those sections (i.e. removing the jumps on the 16ths), making sure minijacks only occur where they should ... and then because the file wouldn't be so sillily difficult, the part with the hands could probably be toned down ... and then everything will be good-to-go.

Lunar Dial / dBu / Vote4Nixon [+?]
Needs some syncing work.
First 48th should be a 32nd.
Not sure if this uses the best layering choices... it felt like there were some other sounds in there that could have used some more emphasizing. There's some more percussion that could add to the file.
m77: The first running man should include the 16th above it, and the second one doesn't have the same pitch on every 16th.
There's some good stuff in here, but I don't know ... not going to accept it how it is now. Ask me if you'd like me to go through it with you measure-by-measure.

Last edited by bmah; 10-26-2011 at 01:09 AM..