View Single Post
Old 08-29-2014, 02:34 AM   #86
EzExZeRo7497
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Meh, let's do it again, this time for a year

Cute review.

I can't say that I'm too surprised about your rating, I only thought that you'd like one or two out of the four movements at most. I knew you'd really like Flood 3, but I wasn't sure what you'd think of Flood 2. I obviously can't comment much on the "review" because history is literally the worst academic subject.

Flood is actually my first Boris album, it blew my mind on my first listen (I had it as 8/10 at the time, moved it up to 8.5 before I stopped rating altogether). I've listened to part of Akuma no Uta and all of Altar - both I didn't find anywhere as stunning as Flood. I've always seen Flood as one huge story - Flood 1 being a relentless storm represented in a very unorthodox manner, Flood 2 being the sombre aftermath with all the damage done (people killed, destruction as a whole), Flood 3 being a second and more powerful storm, Flood 4 is essentially the last moments of your life, seeing light at the end of the day. There are multiple interpretations, like the one in the last.fm album page, but the stories are generally the same. But I digress, I just think that Flood can only be fully appreciated if you listen to it attentively rather than use it to focus on something else - Flood's more drone doom/drone metal rather than ambient music. Given your situation though, I don't blame you.

I wouldn't say that it's an unfair review, but I do believe that you should give it another listen during your free time and not when you're doing homework.

(my favourite track from that is Flood 2)

On another note, I don't find your reviews that jarring to read - just a stream of consciousness which is ultimately your opinion. Unprofessional yeah, but it gets the point across. I do think that you have a pretty skewed misconception of Japanese music though, but it's fairly easy to think that way given most of the big Japanese artists at the moment, such as Kyary Pamyu Pamyu and Perfume. Given I'm probably a little biased myself, because a good portion of my favourite albums come from Japanese musicians. Give artists like Mono, World's End Girlfriend, Midori (though I'm 80% sure this won't be your cup of tea) and Toe a listen.

Last edited by EzExZeRo7497; 08-29-2014 at 02:40 AM..
EzExZeRo7497 is offline   Reply With Quote