View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 03:24 AM   #907
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Recommend me some 2019 albums halp

Day 601: Full Upon Her Burning Lips by Earth (Album Choice: aperson)

Continuing the trend of going back to artists I haven't checked new shit from in years! I've always preferred older Earth, specifically Pentastar: In the Style of Demons and the famous album over their newer sound, but it's pleasant enough. This album is quite literally exactly what I'd expect from modern day Dylan Carlson. It's drone-y, but not NEARLY as drone-y as their earliest works with every song containing actual riffs. That being said, the whole thing is still incredibly minimalistic, sticking to one desert-esque vibe with seemingly seamless tracks and mostly consisting of only guitar, guitar feedback and slow, brooding drums. Bass occasionally.

It's pleasant to listen to, and it works very well as study music, but outside of that, I'm failing to see what this album accomplishes that wasn't already done about equally (not necessarily better or worse!) than The Bees Made Honey In The Lions Skull. I hear that the two or three most recent albums prior to this one contained more deviations to the Earth style with middling results, so if you listened to those and didn't like em, this has what you want. For the sake of comparison, I went back and listened to a few cuts from that aforementioned album about sweet tasting head bones and the main difference is that this newer album is warmer, the riffs seem to vary a tiny little bit more within songs and the whole thing is FAR less reliant on reverb. Reverb is still here, it's just not super overwhelming anymore. In that sense, this newer one is probably the more enjoyable of the two, and this seems like it'd be killer to get lost in live.

I wonder if this dude has actually tried datura, because if he has what the fuck

Best Track: Datura's Crimson Veils
Rating: 6/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote