View Single Post
Old 05-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
Treia
FFR Player

Default Re: How do you make yourself write?

There is no bit of knowledge that's going to make this process any more effortless. Sure, it might make the workload slightly easier, but the amount of effort will be the same. The only key to writing is to write, write, write, and write some more.

I think there are people who get ideas for great stories all the time. However, a lot of these people probably don't even acknowledge them, or even care to write them, because it's something they don't want to do. Then there are people who like writing, whether it's journals, or observing, or creative, but don't care to sell stories. This is what sets authors apart from writers, and writers apart from non-writers. Being an author is making your writing a form of art, to share with all types of people. It's not just writing. If this is attractive to you, then you're an author, not a writer. You have to get in that mindset and write, write, write. Only you know which one you are.

I sympathize with you, though. But you should really try to invest in taking some time to write, even if it's not going to be in the finished product. I take notes of all the new ideas I get, but they're not as useful as actually writing something to reflect the form of something readable, and not a mash of notes. You might have a great idea for a story, but imagine just explaining it to someone from beginning to end. Sure, it will be fascinating, but that's not like experiencing a written product. So you can't expect the written process to be an effortless dump of your mind that can be shared for the world to read. You have to present it in the form that makes the experience enjoyable, too. Now, I'm not saying that you have to focus on being a good writer, but you have to "write" it to get it out, which is different then just explaining, forming ideas, and taking notes.

I am certain you have a lot of great ideas, but that's all they are - ideas. You might have a clear idea how it goes from beginning to end, to the point it's almost like you can actively read the book in your head, but still, it's just a formless mess that only you know the way to organize.

I suggest taking MrPopadopalis25's advice, because he has some good ones. Setting a goal of writing the story out (even if you realize you're going to revise it later) is very useful because you're making tangible progress in intervals, which is more than having nothingness. Which, as MrPop said, is great because you actually have a clearer picture of what a finished product can be, and not blank pages.

I know that you fear of having poor writing or story telling, but there's a remedy for this. Just like being a musician, we might hit some bum notes, but at least they're out there. If we know what the story should be like, or what the big picture is, we can go back and fix those. Also, with having something for others to read, we can get feedback on parts that are lacking. Maybe a section isn't provocative enough, or lacking suspense where it should, or the pacing is dragging. With this feedback, we can make necessary adjustments. And, you probably don't need a proof-reader, because we can proof it ourselves, and refine it until it fits our image.

Lastly, once it's in a form YOU'RE comfortable with, then give it out to some people. Don't consider it FINISHED yet. Things can still get revised that might be weak. I know that Beethoven revised several bits of his music after they've been officially performed. Once you locate these weak areas, you can always revise. No worry about feeling bummed out, it's part of the process. Not sure how helpful this is, but the guy who did Pan's Labyrinth took 30 years to get it in the form it is now.

------
Here's the interview I was talking about. Might be helpful:
Quote:
SH: You were surprised about how much had really happened beforehand?

SM: Yeah, it just kept going on. I was thinking: Wow, this is taking a long time. And that‘s where I finally ended, which was the last sentence in chapter 12. And I knew I had crossed the continent with the railroad, and this was the golden spike that was being driven. It was all linked together. And that was that moment of shock, when I thought: It‟s actually long enough to be considered a book-length thing of some kind.

SH: You really didn‘t even consider it like a book until then?

SM: No. [Laughs] No, I think if I would have thought of it as a book, I never would have finished it. I think if I would have thought, halfway in, You know, maybe I can make this into a book… maybe I could do something with this, the pressure would have crushed me, and I would have given up. I‘m really glad I didn‘t think of it that way. I‘m glad I protected myself by just keeping it about this personal story for me alone.

SH: And you were thinking of yourself as the reader the whole time.

SM: Yes, yes. Well, I‘m kind of shy, and I obviously had to get over that in a lot of ways. But the essential Stephenie, who is still in here, has a really hard time with letting people read things that she writes. [Laughs] And there‘s a lot of enjoyment, which I‘m sure you've experienced, in letting somebody read what you write. But there‘s also the fear of it—it‘s a really vulnerable position to put yourself in.

SH: I was in a creative-writing class once and the teacher asked us: If we were stranded on a desert island, what two books would we take? And one of the books I chose was a notebook—an empty notebook—so I could write stories. And there was a classmate who said, "If you were on a desert island by yourself, why would you write stories?" And I thought: Why are you in this class? [SM laughs] Because if the only purpose you have for writing is for someone else to read them, then why would you do this? It didn‘t make sense to me. But there is something extraordinary about writing for yourself— and then sharing that.

Last edited by Treia; 05-21-2011 at 12:33 PM..
Treia is offline   Reply With Quote