View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 02:50 PM   #17
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar
Default Re: Religion is government

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry View Post
edit: I don't know that much about American stuff but isn't there literally a part of the bill of rights that says there should be "a separation of church and state"
No, but most Americans believe that too. The First Amendment --

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill of Rights
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

-- is more protecting religions from the government persecuting or even embracing/abusing the church; then the amendment follows it up with "Also while you're at it just don't fuck with what people say and do if it doesn't involve violence". The "Separation of Church and State" bit is credited to Thomas Jefferson who reportedly used the catch phrase to hype it's inclusion.

People argue that it should go both ways but considering that most of the Founding Fathers where religious to some degree I think it's fairly obvious it was never intended to prevent religious principles from making it's way to Congress, although I would personally support that reading.

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote