View Single Post
Old 05-1-2020, 05:03 PM   #7
M0nkeyz
Simfile Judge
Simfile JudgeDifficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Jan/Feb 2020 Set 3

- tricky song to sync up; it seems like the song runs constant at 110 BPM, but only about half of the beats land right on. It doesn’t drift, but might make a few more colors -- not a requirement, though.

Yes sir, mainly in the beginning I found most of the biggest drifts. So I've put 64ths on them instead of 16ths which is more accurate

- 5.802/(etc): you accent the short organ at 4.578, 4.988, etc -- switching the two jumps so that the 8th jump has an up arrow gives you the relevance for the organ which is a bit nicer

you're right, fixed.

- 5.935/6.200/(etc): two [24] jumps, but two different instruments - break them apart. The most effective thing would be to use three different jumps -- the two opposing jumps for the 16th kicks, and then a third jump that differs from all of them

done

- 9.356: keep accenting that short organ by chaining to the previous jump! You break from that relevance here.

good call

- 25.305: according to your layering structure a bit later on (33.760, 38.113), this should be a jump as a result of a sustained bass note; however, I think this is a bad approach because it convolutes the structure with something not quite as significant -- I’d remove the later notes rather than adding here

Decided to remove them as per your suggestion.

- 26.396: I’d remove this jump here to keep your structure concise by following only the heavier percussion and horn accents -- this doesn’t fit either of those bills

Sorta ties in with the previous point, done

- 30.760: careful with your jump usage here; this accent should not be the same as the [34] at 31.305 (in fact: this and the 8th note after could be jumps to hit the horn)

I switched up the jumps, I'm not entirely sure about adding jumps to the 8ths there, they don't seem too significant. If you think otherwise we can discuss it ofcourse

- 32.654: there is actually another 16th note right after this not represented; should be a color note just like the others around

Do you mean 32.654 itself or the 16th after? It's hard to figure out since I don't hear the one at 32.804. I can faintly hear the one at 32.654. So I added another 192th there.

- 39.487 to 56.941: excellent approach and it gives the chart a very memorable identity

Thanks, I think so too

- some small instances of direct copy-paste after the first solo instance (including bits of the solo itself), don’t think I didn’t notice bub

Caught me.. Although I did put alot of work into trying to vary things up a bit. I felt for consistency sake I shouldn't stray to far away from the first half since they're pretty much identical. If you think for acceptance it needs to be changed around I'll do it.

- structure needs a touch of clean up, but nothing egregious about it; despite the notes provided, I really like the approach.

Thank you! From the first file I've submitted to FFR back in 2013 I have only learned from (sometimes) harsh criticism.

23.392, 25,578,27.753 etc etc. I've added in 8th's here, because it's a very audible sound and it creates an interesting dynamic. I can remove them if you disagree though

Last edited by M0nkeyz; 05-1-2020 at 05:06 PM..