View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 11:32 PM   #4
rebelrunner26
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
If this were true it would contradict the majority of religious writings in most major religions.

For example, for Christians it's right there in the 10 commandments. You will not have any Gods before the God of the Christian bible. In doing so you do not gain passage to heaven (at least if you're reading the bible literally). The bible very specifically condemns non Christians and non believers...as a matter of fact, belief is almost the only prerequisite to heaven assuming you repent your sins (which is quite clearly absurd.)
but the bible isn't the only one with parts in it like that...if you look at the torah, the koran, and the bible they all have prerequisites for their heaven, but they each encourage the people to live lives according to the moral code set down within the text, and all three have a rather large impact on the cultures in which these religions are present. now i know that leaves out a HUGE portion of religious beliefs, especially considering buddhism and hinduism and the massive populations that believe them, but i'm just wondering how the jews throughout the old testament were "god's chosen people" but yet they are now to be eternally damned according to the christian viewpoint because they do not recognize christ as the messiah...

another thing on that note is that where all three (christians, jews, muslims) all stemmed from the same old testament, i find it interesting that they all accuse the others of breaking their religious codes/laws and if they are all wrong then we all burn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
This is the basis for one of the more major religious dilemmas. From what is written, not every religion can be true. Either one is right or they're all wrong. If they were universally all wrong, it wouldn't make sense for you to get access to heaven based on incorrect belief. On the contrary it might seem more logical to get brownie points for recognizing this >_> Realistically though, it seems God has a lot of people to condemn for no good reason if what scripture says about belief is really true.
see that's exactly what confuses me...i like the whole brownie point system lol...but that's why i'm wondering about the whole different religions for different cultures so it makes sense to them all...i'd rather not believe that EVERYBODY is wrong, but if not everyone is wrong, then how do you know what is right? especially when (nearly) everyone is raised to believe that their religion is correct and everyone else is wrong???

i had this thought in the thread as well...just curious whatcha think:

just analyze the statement..."the one true way"...well, maybe it's the best way, but i'm also pretty sure there's got to be some kind of alternative route (not that i want it...i've been called to be a christian because i was raised as a christian, been baptized, confirmed, etc.

could christians be like some kind of "chosen ones" that are the "one true light????" christian does mean "little christ", so perhaps the bible is actually saying be christians to continue my (Jesus) work and my teachings...thus taking up OUR crosses and continuing the work jesus was trying to do.

that's from an obviously christian point-of-view, but i'm wondering if there's anything to that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelrunner26 View Post
food for thought...just some ideas i've thought up being bored and having nothing better to do..i don't necessarily believe these, but i'm still happy to have imput as long as:
1)you don't just say it's stupid. that accomplishes nothing.
2)you don't back it up with a bible verse that can be easily negated with a different bible verse (people used the bible to support slavery. you can't just pick and choose which parts you want to use)
**not to be picky or anything...that just irritated me a good bit with the whole choose/born gay argument**
just realized that nobody here would know what i was referring to...whether or not gays are born or choose to be homosexual was a previous argument in the facebook thread that i referred to. i have a group of friends that just picks random junk to argue about when we're bored...

Last edited by devonin; 06-16-2008 at 10:03 AM..
rebelrunner26 is offline   Reply With Quote