Thread: DAW
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 11:01 AM   #16
DarkbearX
Shimose
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Default Re: DAW

Calling Live Ableton is like calling Cubase Steinberg or FL Studio Image-Line.

Anyway, I agree about FL's piano roll being the best, but I think Live beats it out on everything else. Dunno too much about any other DAWs really.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zageron View Post
I'm more interested in learning how people make their sounds, and/or what VST/VSTi people use. :[
A little off-topic, but I might as well post this. It's kind of hard for someone to just straight -tell- you how to make synths/pads, etc., because honestly that's a skill on its own. What I can suggest is that you download How to Make a Noise and read it top to bottom. It's extremely in depth and its knowledge basically spreads over every synth/plugin out there.

As far as VST instruments and effects: my favorite two (free) VSTis are Cygnus-SF and Synth1. I also suggest getting reverb and EQ plugins if you use FL because FL's reverbs don't have a Hold feature, and FL's EQs don't have L/R or M/S modes. I suggest Freeverb or Ambience for reverb (both free, Ambience takes a HELL of a lot of CPU though). I haven't found a good free EQ (haven't looked), but FabFilter's Pro-Q is really good.

Last edited by DarkbearX; 10-20-2010 at 11:20 AM..
DarkbearX is offline   Reply With Quote