View Single Post
Old 08-30-2006, 12:53 AM   #18
ckj846
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ckj846
Default Re: Race and the WORD

I think that the "N-word" is really only labeled as bad because people are always telling others OH ITS A TABOO WORD. In reality, it isn't (if you look at the etymology of it as explained by earlier posters). If black people can call each other ******s but other races can't, that is racism in itself. I just can't see how it can be offensive to black people especially if they are calling each other ******s all the time, both at school, "on the streets", in music, and in the media. I mean, since I'm japanese I have to bring it up, the word "Jap" was a term used in the military more of a simplistic term for Japanese. It was used in the internment camps (that my grandparents went to) and it was really discriminatory in that sense. Do you see people placing a taboo on the word? No. Do you see Japanese people getting offended by it? Not unless it is an extreme racist remark which would probably offend anybody. My point being, there are words that have a similar racist use that aren't neccessarily considered bad. Like the word Jew, it was a word to signify people who were practicing the religion of Judaism and it was meant to degrade those people during WW2. It is still a term used today. Do we place a taboo on it like we do with ******? No. Words are words and I don't think there is a word that isn't tainted. My point is that, words always have their etymologys and their uses, so why should we make an exception for ****** and make it a "taboo" word? Sorry it is late at night and I have school tomorrow so I'm not thinking as clearly as I would be during the day. Sorry for spelling or anything because I wrote it out really fast.
O_o
pyro31191: so they can buy dildos instead of fleshlights
ckj846 is offline   Reply With Quote