Thread: Techno?
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2006, 10:26 AM   #143
TheRaiRaiEatsBalloons
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to TheRaiRaiEatsBalloons Send a message via MSN to TheRaiRaiEatsBalloons Send a message via Skype™ to TheRaiRaiEatsBalloons
Default Re: Techno?

Basically me and Kilga came to terms with the fact that I was looking at it from the point of view of a composer, and that it's an entirely different point of view, and that the whole argument is pointless.

To answer your question, Kefit, there are a few things in particular that I enjoy most about music.

First, there's the genius behind the concept of music, the entire concept of the way that expertly-arranged and combined rhythmic frequencies of waves in the air can entirely alter our emotions. The beauty of the concept of music in popular music is generally forgotten in the name of pop culture.

Then there's the brilliance of especially talented musicians who entirely deserve the title of "artist". I find it interesting and compelling when I can listen to a complex piece and think "I never would have thought of that that way, I never would have thought to bring the melody in that direction/delay that note like that/change the theme in that fasion/come up with a percussion fill like that/create that kind of time-signature friction/etc., but it sounds amazing" constantly. There is music that is so in-depth that it's mind-boggling that it was crafted by a human being, music with so many subtleties, so many intricacies, and so much power and/or grace. I find music like this to be amazing. It takes tremendous talent, a brilliant mind, and enormous patience to come up with such a thing, and to keep it all under your control, to produce and master and remaster every last sound--it's awe-inspiring.

Music generally expresses some kind of beauty, and in Autechre's case in particular it's generally the beauty of the unexplored. Most of the best experimental music challenges a person's emotions as much as it challenges their minds. Pieces that make you feel a great emotion that you honestly can't fully describe are something that I enjoy immensely. I can lay in bed stoned with a Boards of Canada CD and it will constantly play with my perception and my feelings, but in a beautiful way. With Autechre it's generally an enormous encompassing beautiful intricate machine of music, mechanically cold and emotionally warm at the same time.

I enjoy music that pushes the boundaries, explores rhythm, and challenges the limits of the human mind and imagination--both the creator and the listener. It takes a great kind of genius to create such music.

That, Kefit, to indulge you, is generally what I enjoy in music, and why.
TheRaiRaiEatsBalloons is offline   Reply With Quote