View Single Post
Old 12-4-2005, 12:24 PM   #1
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds
Default THE EXCITING CONCLUSION! WELCOME TO NEW HAVEN!

This is a story that will probably be in three parts because I'm just too lazy to sit here and type all 20 pages of it right now.

The first six, you ask? Here they are!

EDIT: This story takes place on Earth, but with a different planet structure. So, not Earth. It's an action story with undertones of political corruption, racism, an (as if I couldn't break away from it) a really, really big monster.

It revolves around a mining town called "New Haven" that is situated in a mountain chain. The people there mine for crystals to power what have you, and the main character and his friend Terrell move to New Haven to get away from their old town.

-

My family didn’t want me to move to New Haven, but it was something that I just had to do to get on with my life. Distance myself from everything back at home would have been a mistake, considering the ties that bind. I needed someone to keep me grounded, keep me sane on the trek out to the middle of nowhere and remind me that when things get bad, there are people back where it counts that count.

So I convinced Teller to come with me. He hadn’t been interested to begin with, but in my time in Reedsville, I had become slightly persuasive. I had to sell it, make it sound good. New Haven, look at the name. “New,” make something of yourself in a new settlement. “Haven,” it’ll shelter us and keep us safe. Just look at the name. It says it all, really.

I had read about New Haven in a daily about seven months ago. A call for settlers to head out west to the Halfway Mountains formed a protective barrier against a small section of land. The land, situated in the bottom of the ring of mountains that were the Halfway, is New Haven.

Not quite sure why they were called the Halfway Mountains; they’re almost directly at the western coast. You can’t quite see the ocean from the top of the peak, but on a clear day you might be able to see Endless Beach. Rumor has it, the original explorers reached Halfway Mountain following a faulty map they had purchased from a native. They became lost in a snowstorm, and in the same amount of time it had taken them to get from The Institute, they had reached Endless Beach.

Of course, throughout time people came to realize that it was less than a quarter of the distance from Endless Beach to Halfway Mountains. Endless beach only extended four miles until you hit water, but it was a difficult trek. Large dunes covered the coast, cresting one would only reveal another just as tall, sometimes taller. It was no place for family vacations; you had to be well equipped. Many sailors that came to this country originally had tried to land on the West Coast and had summarily died from heatstroke and exhaustion. Thinking the continent was nothing but desert, they dubbed their landing spot “Endless Beach” and took off.

Several years later, another expedition was launched to the east coast. At the time, it was nothing more than dense trees, almost rain forest. Word was sent back to the home country and the trees were torched. The natives of this land weren’t happy, but lacked the proper technology to defend themselves. All they could do was pray. It didn’t do them much good. They tried scaring settlers off, putting on shows and telling them tales of how the Earth would swallow them up if they didn’t leave immediately.

It didn’t faze anyone.

The Halfway Mountains were unique in several aspects. New Haven was only accessible through a mineshaft at the top of the Mountain. The inside rock walls that the miners faced every day were sheer and unclimbable. There was no trail or pulley system; the mountain was too tall. The mining project to gain entry to New Haven took several years, and upon completion the town was founded.

Since the Mountains extended all the way around New Haven, the settlers became self sufficient, growing their own food and mending their own clothing. Outsiders were only needed for work and to help move the crystals from the mine to the town, or outside of the mountain for a pickup.

Previous to the mining of the entrance to New Haven, the crystals had been sacred. Few had ever been found, but they were precious. They helped power most things; the energy one could take from the crystal extended from powering homes to creating powerful weapons. They were an incredible force, only found on this continent. Once the mountains were mined out, it would be a short time before we become a force to be reckoned with.

That wasn’t really what I wanted. I just wanted a new job in a new place, see new people, all that. I left in the middle of the night to avoid another conflict with my sister, and showed up at Teller’s house about an hour later. In the darkness it was so easy to get lost, especially in a town such as ours. Homes stacked on top of homes, barely being able to see the ground. It was insane, poorly planned, yet stable at the same time. You just have to watch your step.

One false step, and whoosh. You go sailing to the ground. The railings are too weak to really support anyone fully. You lean against it, you’re down. The lower floors don’t even have railings; if you fall, you just start again. The usually sold lower level homes to women with child. If you had a child after you got an upper level home, they didn’t much care anymore.

Teller lived on floor six, block “D”. It took me forever to find my way there in the darkness. I had forgotten to pack a light. It was just as well; I didn’t have anything to power it with either way. It was tricky, moving from block to block. If you didn’t want to go all the way down to the ground, you would have to jump a small distance to another staircase, walk around to the other side of the building and hop again onto another set. You would then be on a different block, although if you’re like me, you’re directionally challenged. Every time I would hop across, I would disorient myself.

Coming from “Z” block to “D” block took too long, but he was waiting outside of his door, his bag packed. We headed down the stairs silently, me behind Teller. He was having second thoughts, I could tell from the speed he was walking to the way his shoulders were slumped. If I had been in front, he would have turned around and left, calling “Sorry,” out from over his shoulder.

Teller fell off the stairs when we hit floor three. He wobbled, reached out for a railing and found none, falling. He landed on his backpack and popping several of the food supply bags that he had raided from his house. I started laughing; the food would hold, but we had been so careful not to make a sound. Lights went on in some of the apartments.

I hopped down from the second floor carefully, and helped him up. He looked like a turtle trying to roll over, but couldn’t quite make it. A thin layer of dust now covered his glasses, face and arms. As soon as he was on his feet, I ran. People opened their doors, looked outside, and saw two silhouettes running west.

When we hit the edge of the “No-Firearms” jurisdiction, I slid my pistol into the empty holster and wore it around my mid section. Teller didn’t believe in guns, or violence, or any of that shit.

I didn’t really believe in violence, but I did believe in protection. There were people out here, natives, that would want to hurt us. They had animals that they had trained to hurt us. They would ride the animals and try to hurt us; you can’t pacifist your way out of a fight with these people. They see you, they kill you. Unless you kill them, which is what I fully intended to do if anyone attacked Teller or myself.

In the mid of the fourth day, I spied the native on the horizon, riding a gallop beast. The native seemed to be looking out over the land. I’m not sure if he was looking for people, if he was looking for animals, or if he was looking for trouble. Teller and I managed to hide behind some brush, watching the native through the brambles and thicket. In a manner of minutes, the native had disappeared behind the hill, and we were on our way.

It was a foolish mistake, sure. Anyone would have thought to stay longer, see if the native was trying to flush us out. The fight had ended quickly. The spear he had thrown sunk into the ground in front of Teller. “Want to fight,” was the only thing that action said. I pulled out my pistol and fired one shot at the native, hitting the gallop beast in the side. It reared, knocking the native back, running away. The native was hooked to the beast through a stirrup and was dragged away, screaming.

I can only imagine what the hot ground and rocks felt like against his bare back, at that speed. Must have stripped the flesh right from the bone. By the time he reached the encampment, there must have been nothing left but a leg in the stirrup.

Who says being a bad shot is really all that bad?

Of course, this one conflict sparked an interest in the natives that I never knew they had. They were a people of resolve, and after finding what was left of the scout, they sent more parties out the eliminate whoever was in the Wastes.

The journey west turned into a game of hide and seek, and occasionally hide and shoot. Hardly ever the latter, simply because my gun could only hold six bullets and the search and destroy parties sent after use consisted of an upwards of twenty natives. Even if I was good at reloading, good at shooting, I still had the whole “dodging of sharp weapons being thrown at me” to worry about. That, and Teller. The sooner we hit New Haven, the better.

The Halfway Mountains loomed in the distance, threateningly, the peaks sharp like teeth against the burning sun. I didn’t have time to enjoy the majesty of the Mountains, I was boosting Teller up the first ledge. There was a large raiding party behind us, spears in hand, spears out of hand, spears flying through the air. I turned around and fired into the group, hitting one, but another took his place.

If a spear hit the mountain and stuck in, we would use that to help us climb. The party was gaining on us by the time we hit the halfway mark later that day. I was growing exhausted, Teller reaching the collapsing point. He looked back at me, turned, and ran behind a boulder. For a split second, I thought he was selling me out, until I heard him call from behind the rock, “Well, ain’t you gonna help me?”

I rushed behind the rock. Teller was in a sitting position, his back against the mountain, his feet against the rock, pushing with all his might. He wasn’t touching the ground; he was elevated, using all the muscles in his legs and lower back to try and push the boulder. I took up a similar position.

“On the count of three, push as hard as you can,” I said.

“Oh, like I haven’t-“

“Don’t me a smartass. One… Two…”

“Better a smartass than a dumbass-“

“THREE!” I pushed, he pushed, he strained, I strained, the boulder shifted.

“AGAIN! ONE! TWO! THREE!”

The boulder moved towards the ledge and gravity took care of the rest. The large rock bounded down the Mountain path, hitting native after native before landing at the bottom on top of the leader of the party and his gallop beast. One native stood, staring at us, spear in hand. He held his hand out, motioning for us to stop. The native turned and ran.

“So much mysticism behind the natives, and look at what they can be killed by. A huge rock,” Teller said, holding out his hand for a high five.

“I think most things would be killed by a huge rock,” I said, lazily throwing my hand up.

“You, obviously, missed the joke,” Teller said, passing out.

It seemed like a good idea, so I did the same.

I came to without my gun, being dragged somewhere. There was a moment of panic when I thought the lone native had come back. I reached for the holster and grabbed air; it was just as well. If I had shot the person dragging us, I would have been in a large assortment of trouble.

“Well, glad to see you’re awake.”

“Glad to see you’re not a native,” I smirked. The man let go of my collar, my shoulders dropping to the ground. I sloppily rose to my feet, dusting off my pants. Teller was in his other hand, still out.

“So, who are you?”

“The name is McGinley. I run New Haven,” he extended his hand. I shook.

“Want to wake Teller up?”

“No, he’s going to need his strength for the stairs.”

“Stairs?”

McGinley smirked, and began walking. We were almost at the top of the Mountain. If we had been at the halfway point before… He had dragged us…

“You’re pretty strong, dragging us all the way up the mountain like that.”

Although his back was turned, I could tell he was smiling. “Years in the mine will do that to you. I assume you’re here to work the mine?”

“You assumed correctly.”

McGinley chuckled. “Alright. I’ll set you up with an appointment at the Mining Guild tomorrow. You’ll do an interview. If they think you’re right for the job, you’re in.”

“I thought you just showed up and grabbed a pick-“

“It’s a formality. Anyone can be a miner; we just use the Guild for a tax-exempt status. You’d rather be paid in cash tax free, no?”

I didn’t want to tell him that money wasn’t an issue.

“If you don’t think money is an issue, son, you’re sorely mistaken. You have a place to live yet?”

“I hadn’t really thought that far ahead.”

“I’ve got some seed money. You take that, get started, and then get started on paying me back. You and this boy are going to live together, half the price, double the payback rate. It won’t take anytime at all, and before long…” McGinley turned his head, offering a half smile. “You’ll be enjoying all there is to enjoy in New Haven.”

McGinley took a final step before pointing at the sign that rested at the top of the mountain. “Welcome To New Haven.”

I walked to the edge of the Mountain, looking over cautiously. Didn’t want McGinley sneaking up on me and throwing me from the edge.

The Mountain walls were sheer. No purchase. I could see why they hadn’t bothered to build a pulley system now; the town was so faint in the darkness. The Mountain had only been a few miles up; the town was in a recess. A few lights burned weakly.

“Hey, before we get headed into town, do you think you could give me my-“

“No guns in New Haven. All they start is trouble. You got a problem; you settle it with your fists. I don’t want to have to deal with murder, alright?”

I nodded.

“After you meet up with the Guild tomorrow, come to my office. It’s in the center of town, the lowest part. New Haven is set up in a bowl, if you couldn’t tell. The lighting is kind of poor right now; I wouldn’t expect you to be able to see anything at this point save for some of the brighter lights.”

I shuddered. Those were the brighter lights?

“Hey, where am I?” Teller asked groggily.

“Teller, this is McGinley. He dragged us up the mountain, is going to set up a meaning with the Miner Guild-“

“But I thought-“

“It’s a technicality, give us seed money and help us buy a house. We good?”

“I think so.”

“You’re going to like it in there, Teller. They don’t allow guns.”

“Alright, guys,” McGinley started. “Let’s get down the mountain.”

“How?” Teller asked.

“Stairs,” I said.

McGinley walked over to a small room, the size of an outhouse, and opened the door.

“You don’t keep it locked?” Teller questioned.

“No need to. The natives don’t like this land. They don’t like coming in here.”

“Oh. Well, then.”

Inside the small shed, the stairs began at the far end. They were wooden and had a sturdy railing. We took the first flight, down a tunnel, before reaching a more open area. The stairwell coiled around the circular chamber, going downwards. I couldn’t see the bottom, despite the fact that the well was lit brilliantly. Torched lined the earthen walls every fifteen feet.

“Alright, boys. Let’s get started. If we run, it’ll only take us an hour.”

We didn’t run. Three hours later, I set foot on solid earth again and collapsed, my legs folding under me. Teller had done so minutes before, and now was carried by McGinley. He chuckled.

“We’re not out of the woods yet,” he said, smiling. Grabbing a torch, he helped me to my feet and we began walking down a mineshaft. The walls were lined with crystal, sharp to the touch and glowing with energy. The crystals protruded like bad teeth, in small clumps every few feet. They sprouted from the ceiling, the walls… But not the ground. The ground had been picked clean.

After fifteen minutes of walking, the concentration of the crystals began to decrease. The incessant glow ceased as the number of crystals decreased greatly. Eventually, there were no crystals in the wall. They had mined up to this point.

Every few feet, shafts had been dug into the walls. When I looked down them, I could see a faint glow in the distance. This was a wealth of energy. More so than I had thought before.

Another fifteen minutes passed, and the shafts growing closer together before finally turning into a large room. At the end of the room, I could see the town through a door. I sighed.

“You boys will be staying with me tonight until we can get you a place of your own, alright?”

Teller laughed, I nodded, and McGinley led the way into New Haven.

-

Mal

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, Ill give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote