View Single Post
Old 11-20-2023, 06:59 PM   #1557
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp

Day 1054: Quaranta by Danny Brown

Slightly less mid.

This will get slightly more actual words written about it, because that's a strong case of damning with faint praise. This is a solid album, but "solid" is a pretty muted reaction to what has been one of the most hyped albums of the entire year. Did Warp hold this back in hopes that Danny would improve upon what they gave him? And on the flip side, did they not realize that holding this back would only increase expectations?

I was fully expecting to like this more than Scaring The Hoes, at least more than the non-Peggy parts, but for all that didn't work on that project, it felt entirely fresh and experimental whereas this almost feels like a case of "phoning it in". We've been waiting 4 years now for the next solo project, and this feels less inspired than uknowhatimsayin? which itself already felt too safe for my tastes.

Maybe repeat listens will reveal something more to me, but otherwise this is a decent 34 minutes of music and nothing more, which makes that 4 year gap all the more unrewarding.

Best Track: Jenn’s Terrific Vacation
Rating: 6.5/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.

Last edited by rayword45; 11-20-2023 at 07:00 PM..
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote