Thread: StepCon 2023
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2023, 11:07 PM   #54
jh05013
oh hi
Event StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: StepCon 2023

I deleted my overall review on a whim so here's a per-entry review instead.

B: AIN'T NOTHIN' LIKE A FUNKY BEAT

Fun song. I expected some bouncy, jacky approaches, and a challenge would be how to effectively cut the song or keep the chart intersting against its repetitive nature. All submissions were quite enjoyable.

1 - My favorite entry in this group. I specifically liked how progression is represented by hands.

2 - This one sprinkles some 24ths for vocal, which work in some places but felt a bit strange in others. Some of the white minijacks lead to unwarranted 3-jacks. Other than that, a solid approach.

3, 5, 7 - Nice jumpstreams. They may be a bit generic, but there is only so much a jumpstream can have anyway.

4 - A more aggressive approach. The ending is interesting in its own barring the right hand's 4[34]334334, but felt a bit too spiky compared to the rest of the chart.

6 - Very similar to how I would have charted it except for the flams. I like it.

C: GETCHA! (Cover)

Surprised at the amount of hate this song received. Well yeah that might not mean much coming from a vtuber pfp, but I think there can be a good amount of attention to detail that would make a chart fresh throughout, even without dumping.

1 - Intersting chordjack approach, but the intensity doesn't seem to match well with the song.

2 - Intersting dump approach, but the intensity doesn't seem to match well with the song, for a different reason: the easier parts are too easy where there were certainly more instruments worth stepping.

3 - This one seems to go for pure vocal dumps. While I see their merits in charts like Celsus v2 where not much really goes on in the music, or 99.9 where the vocal comes in broken parts, this one unfortunately leaves out a lot of the interesting things happening in the background.

4, 5 - Exactly the kind of chart I was looking for. Although I preferred 4 more for more attention to detail, 5 also had some parts that I liked more than 4.

6 - Vocal dumps were nicely done. My favorite vocal dump in this group, in fact. Some of the other patterns didn't align well for me, either due to patterning or intensity.

7 - A more aggressive chordjack approach. Would have been a vote contender for me if executed well, but there were a few uncomfortable patterns, including unwarranted 5-jacks and one-hand-heavy patterns.

D: Fat Lip

Now this one is a really difficult one to make an interesting chart out of. (Ironically, this group ended up to be the only group where I gave more than 2 votes...)

1 - I don't understand the green-pink jacks, but otherwise a solid dump. I thought a majority would be going for dumps which would make it harder to stand out, but it turns out only 2 entries did. Thanks for cutting the song too. I'm surprised that only 1 did so, considering the song's genericness.

2 - While I see an anchor motif, it seems inaccurate in some places, i.e. some anchors look unwarranted, and some are missing. Would be an interesting easy chart once polished throughout.

3 - Similar comment to 1, except for the [12]3[12]4[12]3 pattern which I couldn't understand. If it's for the vocal, it doesn't feel right because the pitch is not really constant. Other sections were nice.

4, 5 - Tamer 8th-oriented approaches. Both are quite polished. At first I preferred 4 more, but watching them today they look equally good now.

6 - Interesting color theory. Not only vocals are colored, but also they got different colors depending on who is singing. It reminded me of the music video which is kinda funny. Maybe some sections could have been harder, but colored notes do impose a reading challenge so maybe it's fine, idk.

E: Clumsy Communication

A mix of B and C, this song has many viable instruments to pick for charting, but it also requires dealing against repetitiveness.

1, 5, 6, 7 - They have some potential, but look inconsistent in layering or patterning for now.

2 - Didn't expect to see a dump in this group. It was confusing unfortunately, mainly due to 24ths being too slow and not very distinguishable from other instruments. Rolls don't feel right either, since the sound is rather constant with a very vague vibration near the end.

3 - I really liked this one, which incorporated a lot of the interesting things the song could offer and still remained straightforward. Similar style to GETCHA! 4 in terms of attention to detail.

4 - Pretty sure the intro 16ths aren't right, considering that the music is centered around 24th swings. Dumps were confusing similarly to 2. Other sections were satisfying.

(EDIT: after the voting period, I got the blank file and inspected the intro. It was 96ths unlike the rest of the song. Interesting...)

8 - Similar to 4, but I find some of the minijacks questionable. Nice color theory near the end.

Last edited by jh05013; 10-25-2023 at 10:33 AM..
jh05013 is offline   Reply With Quote