View Single Post
Old 07-14-2023, 09:14 AM   #5
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Tips for improving at Pad/DDR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyxel View Post
Sup fellas! I had a question!

Me and a couple friends drove out to this arcade that had a lot of sick rhythm games (i.e sound voltex, beatmania, pump it up, etc.) and they also had a really nice DDR Ace cabinet. Seeing this, me and one of my friends spent several hours playing DDR but I was (understandably) significantly worse than when I'd play on a keyboard. However-- reading wasn't the issue, rather, I didn't know how to move my feet efficiently to hit certain patterns.

At first, I could barely play any 4s but by the end of the night i was able to AA a couple 8s and 9s, but I'd like to get at least as good as my friend who was FCing 13s and 14s. Any tips on how to get into, get better, and improve at DDR? Thanks for reading and thank you for any feedback!
Find a speedmod range that you're comfortable with. I usually hang around 480-550 for reading speed.

So for example, I use 3.25x on 160 BPM (160 * 3.25 = 520).

Reading slower speeds is also important for DDR since you'll encounter a lot of charts where the highest BPM throws off your speedmod, because some other part is half or even quarter BPM in some cases (e.g. Pursuer's highest area is 300 at the end, but a lot of the chart runs at 75).

Reading too fast does affect how you can hit patterns. For example: a crossover might come and you haven't placed your positioning in time.

When it comes to patterns, you need to account for the time it takes for your feet to reach the panel. Candle steps and crossovers are a big one here: If you underestimate them, you'll get misses or end up tiring out really fast.
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote