View Single Post
Old 06-20-2023, 01:26 PM   #1513
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp

Day 1019: O Monolith by Squid

Sadly, or not so sadly depending on your outlook, this has nothing to do with the Kyle Ward song.

These guys put on a pretty fun performance when I saw them live, but I'm still not totally in love with their last album. The Talking Heads aping works a lot better on a stage than on a recording. Regardless, though, that has little to do with this album because this is a pretty MASSIVE stylistic shift. Now instead of zoomers attempting to mimic the more angular new wave and dance-punk of the 70s and 80s, we have zoomers attempting to go all krautrock but somewhat modernized.

The results? Decent. Decent-to-good. The ambition is admirable either way, but just like many windmill bands, I find this to be a bundle of joy at times, a snoozer at others. There's 8 tracks here and they average over 5 minutes a piece, and ultimately I'm not sure that was a totally necessary decision. Whatever, I'd see them live again to hear just how they tackle this stuff, and ultimately, since that's the most money they'd ever get from me, isn't that what matters?

Best Track: The Blades
Rating: 6.5/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote