Old 08-26-2022, 11:38 AM   #120
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Dump Batch Discussion Thread

By paragraph again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lights View Post
What would not ranking these files or putting them in separate leaderboards really hope to achieve though? Clearly, theres demand for this content. Clearly, theres a significant chunk of players that enjoy this content.

Saying "fine, we'll let them in, but they can't interact with any of the core aspects of FFR or be seen around the rest of the files" is only one step past "no, get these dumps out of here" and I don't see really who this would serve or benefit. Certainly not the players whom this content is ultimately being added for?

If a file is deemed acceptable to be added into the game and the difficulty of the file is sane enough to be rated on the rating scale, it should be treated the same as every other file with regards to the game's leaderboards, average rank, etc.- even legacy files are factored into this and there is much more thats fundamentally wrong with them (by traditional FFR judging standards) than a well made dump file. Most of them would be laughed out of the batch if submitted today.

And furthermore, I'm not keen on the comparison between dumps and legacy files- some of the legacy content doesn't even make sense and doesn't come close to fitting any benchmark as being a well made file. Sure, there were much heavier limitations at play for their creation than someone today popping into arrow vortex or a similar editor, but that doesn't change the fact that, for many, nothing is properly timed, theres no real attempt at coherent structure, and the patterning choices are bland and in many cases incredibly spiky in nature. These files have very little in common with a well made serious dump file and in no world do I think we should be seriously considering them as comparable entities on FFR.
My point was mostly that we already have a system for separating things out, which contradicted something you'd said.

1. Again, with Legacy and Tokens being removed this argument is preemptively moot. And before you ask why I'm good with keeping tokens out: AntiPA requirements remain as a barrier of inaccessibility. They're horribly specific at points, and the jokes for some of them are lost to history and don't actually matter. Not to mention event tokens. There's no reason to merge them in the current state of the structure. Legacy is... Self explained I would hope.
2. As this is new territory, this approach is actually the safe and correct one until the standards are set, the difficulty ratings worked out, and issues the community has are ironed out. You're forgetting staff are just implementing this, and we currently get to talk about it. May as well meet in the middle with the choices made here.
3. Comparing Legacy to certain dump styles would be a very one to one comparison. Some don't actually make sense, would be fun to some regardless, if not even maybe highly regarded. You're also forgetting SOME FILES never actually went through the proper judgement system (thanks Aj / Kayla / OT's in general.) So not even every modernly ranked file should even be here. My point is that you're not accounting for any number of ways garbage has gotten into the game with your comment. (Some of this is my own feelings, of course.)
4. See 3. Though if you wanna talk about spiky files, we have plenty, so this should never come as a surprise to FFR players. There's a lot of content that has randomly daft patterning, my own work suffers from this a lot at times.

But to answer your question at what separating them out does, it allows FFR to not only allow them in, and grow the idea, maybe even mature it, but not force it till it's ready and good to go.

It's a nice best of all worlds in my opinion. Though maybe I'm wrong. Etterna allows anything to be ranked within some rules, and that seems to work well. So I might be pretty wrong. Maybe I'm just too boomer here. I could be ok with that tbh. osu despite how fucking much I think that place is a cesspit of fucking garbage, is doing really well, so maybe there's something to learn there.
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote