Old 07-31-2022, 10:27 PM   #39
Lights
owo
Head of Events Team
Event StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Leaderboard D9 new name and color

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1rnight View Post
well, its relevant to specifically how divisions are classified... simply it is a post stating "equiv is not a necessarily good way to mark divisions". certainly we could add another category on top, and so on, but largely it does seem to me that the same divisions have been shifted up one, and that this may just continue (especially since d1 has... mysteriously disappeared?!)

(i know that this is specifically a "LEADERBOARD D9" and not a tournament division, though...? i'm assuming that the equiv system goes a long way to picking people for tournament divisions, though!)
Ultimately, no matter which way you look at it, there is a massive gap between a low d8 player (say, 102) and a low D9 player (say, 108). Equiv system being flawed or not the difference here is large enough that, in a competitive environment, the matchup is going to tend to be incredibly lopsided. This change isn't directly impacting tournaments right now, but at least recognizing the difference between D8 and D9 is step 1.

Don't be so quick to write off how far players have come, D9 today is very much breaking new ground that, up until now, hasn't been achieved on FFR such that a Division at this level was worth considering.

You give the example of Dossar, at high D7, getting a strong score on Death Piano, but for a variety of factors that is an exception to the rule. Death piano is a very niche kind of file that appeals to one particular skillset. One which dossar was prodigiously good at. If you look at the culmination of top player scores on every other high level file, you'll find a much different story.

Last edited by Lights; 07-31-2022 at 10:28 PM..
Lights is offline   Reply With Quote