Old 04-1-2022, 11:25 AM   #23
radioamor
anhedonia extraordinaire
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Recommend me movies you enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiosna View Post
snip
This is a phenomenal and remarkably comprehensive list of recommendations. I greatly appreciate that you took the time to narrow down a few that you think I would enjoy based on what you know about my personality, and then further justified them. While I am certainly no fan of didactic cinema, I don't mind a bit of treacle. Not even the most weathered soi-disant cinephile can survive on a diet of downtrodden, anxiogenic films alone. One of my favorite films, Margaret (2011), is a contemplative pendulum that explores the swells and nadirs of human emotion, and it ends on a tender hug at the end of an opera. I can scarcely think of something more nominally saccharine than that.
I will admit that when my partner attempts to explain the merits of Japanese animation to me, she does it in terms that do not quite appeal to me. That may simply be a difference in value judgments, however, and I could extract meaning in ways she doesn't and vice versa. I'm loath to immediately disregard a film based on its initial presentation (unless it's a comedy with a poster that contains a white background behind the cast, in addition to the film's title with a pithy tagline written in red, 3D text. Those are uniformly trash.)
I watched Oldboy a while ago, but I would definitely benefit from a second viewing. I have been thinking about watching that and The Handmaiden on two consecutive nights. My watchlist may be precipitously ballooning here, but I trust your judgment enough to just watch both films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellonxcollie View Post
snip
I figured you would have some advanced acquaintance on the matter, but I didn't want to be presumptuous. Thank you for the recommendations. This is a genre of film that is wildly out of my wheelhouse, but again, I would hate to dismiss a potential surfeit of good cinema because I am not accustomed to Japanese animation.

I am immensely grateful for everyone's suggestions, and I'm adding them all to my watchlist. Sometimes, however, I'm busy, and I'll even be out of town next week, so I'll progress through them rather slowly. I look forward to watching them all, though! I mean this sincerely, and not in the corporate email way that my parlance may communicate.

Last edited by radioamor; 04-1-2022 at 11:26 AM..
radioamor is offline   Reply With Quote