Old 05-2-2021, 08:47 AM   #14
XJ-9
!🤖💥👾!
Community Manager
Community ManagerGlobal ModeratorEvent StaffFFR Wiki StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: FFR Seasons [Suggestion]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrawnSkunk View Post
A major reason why seasons never really took off the last time this was suggested (other than lack of developer resources), was because we wanted to introduce some sort of crazy season-exclusive engine mechanics, theme, and incentives, like Path of Exile does with their league system.
That makes sense. There's so much that could branch off of this sort of system so I wanted to keep the suggestion as straightforward as possible to begin with to not overwhelm people. In my case, the idea for FFR Seasons came to me because of how seasons in a MOBA work, but I wanted to focus on the simple aspects first.

Quote:
I still feel there needs to be something a bit more than just a leaderboard if we want seasons to be as engaging as possible. But if the community cares more about stat tracking and getting this thing rolling, we could keep the first season simple, and just offer profile badges for the division you finished the season in.
I like the idea of having some kind of lifetime recognition like a profile badge. Other ideas could be the usual rewards like support tokens and credits for the top x players at the end of a season. There could even be an achievement token for accomplishing a specific task within any season.

Quote:
I can't think of any real drawbacks. Since there will be no "end-of-season tournament", where everyone is placed based on their seasonal skill rating, there aren't really any incentives for underperforming.

Starting a new season every 3-4 months feels like a good sweet spot that gives more drop-in opportunities than once per year.
Actually, I like that idea of having them last a few months more than an entire year. I initially thought of a year because I wanted everyone to have a chance to participate at any time, but I didn't think of accomplishing that with multiple seasons in a year. I can also seeing it work well with up to a two month break after a season because of the OT during the summer and the holidays at the end of the year. Timeframes for seasons could be something like February through May and August through November.

I really appreciate the input from the dev side. It sounds like this could work out pretty smoothly in the end. The only thing I can think of asking about is your thoughts (anyone's thoughts, really) on the formula for deciding a user's level within a season. I had said a simple average before, but Wilson had mentioned using a weighted average and that sounds more appealing to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirryWoo
I weighted average across all 100 scores is the best one I can think of
The best score in your top 100 gets multiplied by the weight 100/ (1+2+...+100) or 100/5050
The second best gets 99/5050
The nth best gets (101-n)/5050
Skill rating gets multiplied by this fraction and the sum gets tallied up. That’s my proposed skill rating
Any other suggestions are still welcomed of course.
XJ-9 is offline   Reply With Quote